Honda CX 500 Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi to all,

I'm new to this forum, I own a CX 500 Eurosport and recently I noticed that the rear tire after every ride seems to be "consumed" more on the left side (looking the bike from the rear), than on the other one.

This seems a proof that during the ride the bike is "bended" on the left side, as if the weights were not well distributed; since the only weight on the bike during the rides was me, I would like to ask you:

a) Is this happening also to other owners and is a known peculiarity of this bike, since the transmission shaft is on the right side and thus there is more weight there.

b) Or for some unknown reasons I'm sitting on it in a strange way that let my weight be more on the right side and I could not notice this while riding?

c) The right answer is neither (a) nor (b).

Thanks in advance,

Enrico

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Enrico....generally the tires do wear more on the left. This is because we drive on the right side of the road (North America) the the crowning of the road is sloped to our right, to allow water to drain off. Since you will be riding perpendicular to the earth's centre of gravity, not perpendicular to the road surface, your left side of the tire will have more contact with the sloped road than will the right side of the tire. This ASSumes you have no handling issues...ie, a bent frame or misaligned tires, etc.

This really make sense, and probably is the right reason... the frame and the tires alignment should be ok (never had road accidents)...

thank you for the answer

Enrico

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I have never noticed any more wear on one side of tyres unless there is a fault.This is on any vehicle I have owned for over 30 years.

A good read,

http://www.rattlebars.com/tirewear/index.13sy

My 2 cents.

That web page is very interesting: it disproves the fact that the biggest amount of left-wear of the tires is due to the crowning of the roads, but it asserts that it is normal and it is due to the differences between "left-turn and right-turn paths"... moreover it proves that it could not be caused by unbalanced weights or tires misalignment.

So I can conclude that this "strange" tires wear is normal and it is not the symptom of any problems.

Thanks to everybody,

Enrico

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.