Honda CX 500 Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
264 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i finally broke down and am putting a new rear tire on the gl500. but once i had it off i observe a strange feathering tire wear pattern. the center is bald as is obvious but a close look at the edges shows each individual segment of tread is worn like a little ramp. does anyone know what causes this? tire has about 2400 miles on it and i carry a lot of weight in my homemade trunk and ammo can side bags.

·
Registered
8,422 Posts

·
Registered
835 Posts
I think what you are seeing is a normal wear pattern. The 'front' of the individual tread hits first, and as a result will wear at a different rate then the rear - look at your own running shoes and you'll even see this in the wear pattern on the soles.

Left to right differences is caused by the crown of the road. All roads are designed to allow water to flow off them equally left and right. This crown will also affect the tread pattern.

One other issue, and this was discussed before, is that in North America when we turn left, it's usually a wide long turn, but turning right will be more 90 degree and quicker. In the UK they notices exactly the opposite - with long slow turns to the right and short quick turns to the left - as they drive on the 'other' side of the road. Either way, affecting the tread wear pattern differences left to right.

Check your alignments - sure, but on a bike if you're riding straight, it's likely to be good. It looks like you got use of the old tire, and it's time has come.

·
Registered
3,612 Posts
If you are talking about the scalloping or "cupping," that is normal wear, although yours seems a little excessive, possibly due to the extreme age of the tire, and/or the tire being under-inflated.

·
Registered
889 Posts
You must be carrying a LOT of weight and/or are running awful hard/fast to get that kind of wear in 2400 miles. You might want to consider raising your tire pressure.

Since nobody else seems willing to say it: you are risking your life and possibly other people's lives by running a tire that far past the wear bars. Glad you got away with it this time. Hope you don't try again.

·
Registered
264 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
they usually don't last that long for me. I am surprised to hear people say that it wore out prematurely. I rarely get better than 1800 miles out of a rear tire. I put that tire on new this spring at the begining of the riding season. I run about 35 psi in the front and 40 in the back. What kinda mileage do the rest of the gl500I bikers out there get out of a rear tire?

·
Registered
8,422 Posts
I think what you are seeing is a normal wear pattern. The 'front' of the individual tread hits first, and as a result will wear at a different rate then the rear - look at your own running shoes and you'll even see this in the wear pattern on the soles.

Left to right differences is caused by the crown of the road. All roads are designed to allow water to flow off them equally left and right. This crown will also affect the tread pattern.

One other issue, and this was discussed before, is that in North America when we turn left, it's usually a wide long turn, but turning right will be more 90 degree and quicker. In the UK they notices exactly the opposite - with long slow turns to the right and short quick turns to the left - as they drive on the 'other' side of the road. Either way, affecting the tread wear pattern differences left to right.

Check your alignments - sure, but on a bike if you're riding straight, it's likely to be good. It looks like you got use of the old tire, and it's time has come.

I'm afraid these are myths about cambers and turning.I ride on the left and my rear tyres wear exactly the same as the pictures above just to a much lesser degree(Hardly noticeable).My front tyres do not have an uneven wear.

I have 18" rear wheels and depending on tyre brand get anything between 6,000 to 10,000 miles and I don't ride soft.I normally run at the manual's recommendations for tyre pressures.I have upped the pressure a little on the fatter rear I was running but present tyres are at normal pressures.Over inflation will cause the crown of the tyre to wear fast,under inflation will cause the sides to wear fast and affect mpg more.

·
Registered
1,874 Posts
I'd say that looks like either improper tire pressure and/or possibly your rear suspension is wearing out. I don't know how close you can translate car tire wear to motorcycle wear, but I know my wifes car had blown shocks (it was basically using the springs only) and her rear tires had that same severe cupping wear yours show. If you still have the stock, original rear shock and spring on there maybe it needs replacing? I don't know much about the GL suspension so maybe others who have GL's can chime in.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.