Honda CX 500 Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey everyone, I found a radiator at a garage sale a couple of days back, it looked in decent condition and at the cost of a fiver I thought I may as well. It has certainly been repainted in what I assume is a VHT paint as it is matte black. I have however notices some small beading around it (see below).

Red Textile Dress Pattern Pattern
Auto part Trunk

My first assumption is that this has been caused by excessive heat perhaps when the paint was cured

the way the silver stuff (I presume solder) is rules out the possibility of it being a repair in my eyes

I have filled it up with water and it doesn't seem to be leaking at all. But I would really appreciate a second opinion on this :)

·
Registered
801 Posts
Are the beads just stuck to the paint?

To me, it looks like it may have been sitting under a work bench and someone was working above it "soldering" something and the excess solder dropped down on to it and stuck to the paint.

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Are the beads just stuck to the paint?

To me, it looks like it may have been sitting under a work bench and someone was working above it "soldering" something and the excess solder dropped down on to it and stuck to the paint.
Unfortunately not, it has definitely come from underneath the paint it would seem.

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·

·
Registered
4,278 Posts
Test it with heat with a lighter if it's solder or not.

Or try to compress one of these white balls. It will be white powder after this.
Maybe it is just a white oxide from somewere.

But it's seldom (to me) that solder is round as balls.

In my workshop I would close the two tubes and bring some air pressure on it. (Not more as ~~ 0-5 bar/ ~~ 7 psi !!)
A little detergent to the suspicious spots.
If there is a leak, air bubbles are generated.

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
In my workshop I would close the two tubes and bring some air pressure on it. (Not more as ~~ 0-5 bar/ ~~ 7 psi !!)
A little detergent to the suspicious spots.
If there is a leak, air bubbles are generated.
Tried out your suggestion and yeah, there are air bubbles. A real shame as it is in beautiful shape otherwise. I will keep it about though and see where it goes. Thanks for the replies!

·
Registered
3,804 Posts
When the coating was baked on it apparently melted the solder that holds the parts together.
It can be salvaged by heating up the metal and resoldering it.
The coating will be ruined and need to be painted when done unless you want a bare metal look.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts