Honda CX 500 Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have straight pipes from last owner. My bike runs really rough low idle with no power.

I also noticed the exhaust collector box was also removed and i was wondering if this has any impact on how it is running, i would like to put new mufflers on.

Do i need this exhaust collector box to have it running right?

·
Registered
96 Posts
I just pulled the h-box off mine too and basically have straight pipes, I am having similar issues with low power at low rpms. There is some really great knowledge here and someone will chime in soon and tell you exactly what you need to know. Some will say that the h-box can not be removed and the bike still run properly, and some will say that you can but I do know that it will take some tinkering with to get it running right.

good luck

Cody

·
Registered
8,422 Posts
Without the correct exhaust system the efficiency of the bike will diminished.

See this thread,

http://cx500forum.com/index.php?/to...0846__hl__collector__fromsearch__1#entry70846

A lot of people who customize these machines do not realize that they may well have reduced the,"Power Band" but think,"Louder" means faster.

The same goes for fitting,"Pod filters" and re-jetting.It may well increase the acceleration above around 3,000 rpm but will lower the torque at lower revs.This may not be an issue if the engine is not being used much in traffic and is a personal taste thing in this instance.

Honda,like many motorcycle manufacturers,spend a lot of time and money making a,"Whole" motorcycle system and changing any one part usually means something loses out.

HTH

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.