Honda CX 500 Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
120 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am going to be storing my bike for 3.5 months while I go traveling. I was wondering what steps to take to get the bike ready to sit for that long without letting the carbs get all gummed up. I was just going to drain all the gas, but won't that make the inside of the tank rust? Should I pull the battery off?

·
Registered
103 Posts
Fill the tank...put in some StaBil...run it for awhile.

Drain the carbs.

I'm a fan of filling a stored fuel tank all the way to the top but some will argue with me but I've never had any problems or rust. Water will settle to the bottom but I think the Stabil will prevent a majority of that.

If you have a lead acid battery you could put one of those little battery tenders on it. But disconnecting wouldn't be a bad idea.

Might want to do a oil change also.

My 2 cents

·
Registered
2,601 Posts
Never hurts to spray a little penetrating or other light oil into each cylinder after you've finally shut it down, crank it a few times then put the plugs back in. And don't make the mistake of putting rags into the exhaust pipes, that tends to trap more moisture in than it keeps out.

A lot depends on the environment in which it will be stored.

3 - 5 months is really nothing, think of how many of these have been found and kicked right over after 20 years of sitting.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts