Honda CX 500 Forum banner

101 - 117 of 117 Posts

·
Registered
89 Posts
Snow is leaving fast but there is still the "evil" salt on the roads. Need a couple or three good rains to wash it away.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Hmmm well since I have three bikes, and no other form of transportation... Still riding! Lol Rain, cold, hot and all. I'm in it.

1982 Gl500 Silverwing
2001 Suzuki 650
2001 Kawasaki Super Sherpa 250

·
Registered
528 Posts
First ride since New Years Day. 35F on the way to work. Looks like I get today and tomorrow. White crap predicted for Wednesday.

·
Registered
562 Posts
So far this winter, a lot of the coldest days have had snowfall or much potential for ice, but I'm prepared to enjoy riding even in single-digit temps. Got my winter lowers on; Hippo Hands and heated grips; new helmet seals around the neck much better, and no fogging with the Pinlock; baclava, insulated touring jacket and overpants, and good all-season boots.
These engines love that crisp, cold air... but use a battery tender on those real cold nights if you don't have heated storage; preheating is wise, gotta watch out for ice, salt and sand; clean the salt off regularly, and remember, those tires will be very cold and very hard when you first get going.

brIMG_3188.JPG

·
Registered
191 Posts
I spent many years in Salt Lake City Utah, where the snow made riding impossibe for much of the year, so here in Virginia i ride all year.

Obviously not during snow and i have lost interest in riding in heavy rain, but unless it is below 30 i simply wear 4 coats and leathers with swaleat pants and cover up with a rain coat on top. Oh and hot hands or grabber warmers in my gloves and boots.

:)

Funny i enjoy riding in the cold weather more because i feel a bit safer with all the layers on, and summer i feel a whisker naked with only my leathers on.

·
Registered
1,150 Posts
Got to check another month off the bucket list yesterday. It was 52 here so I took a hundred mile run. Spring is almost here.

·
Registered
528 Posts
Rode Monday, Tuesday, Friday, and Saturday. This week looking good, too.

·
Registered
89 Posts
4-5 inch of snow....I-90 closed....Hwy 26 closed.... It's not looking good for the home team. The temp was 62 degrees on Sat and almost all the snow was gone. I'm pulling the covers back over my head.

·
Registered
528 Posts
Hah. Yesterdays ride was it for this week. White crap for most of the rest of it.

·
Registered
2,562 Posts
i have been riding all winter as the weather permits. I think I have been able to go at least 5-6 times every month this winter, never imagined that was possible!

·
Registered
5 Posts
I had some car trouble 3 weeks ago and had no other option but a ride to work. :Frozen: 0 degrees F on the trip to work, 3 degrees on the return. Took some trial and error to get the carb rich enough for the cold air. I was a bit of pansy before and only rode weather 50 or warmer. Now above 40 degrees, bikes between the knees. Roads were clear and dry so I was out today in the high 30's.

·
Registered
7,841 Posts
This time last year, I was starting my riding season, and I rode straight through to mid-December. Not warm, but dry enough for clear streets.

Not so lucky this year. The one day it was warm enough to melt all the ice in the alley, I had to make an early start, and it was still slick when I left for work. Now we're getting new snow.

I suspect it will be Easter before my season starts, like most years.

R

101 - 117 of 117 Posts