Honda CX 500 Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 78' CX500 that I'm trying to complete a frame-off restoration but the front brake is sticking.

What I've done:

Rebuilt the master cylinder.
Removed and cleaned the caliper
Removed and cleaned the piston (lubed the piston with brake fluid before placing back into the caliper)
Removed pins from caliper bracket and lubed with moly paste.
Replaced the brake fluid and blead the line of air.

Questions:

Problem with master cylinder cause brake caliper to stick?
Moly paste ok on pins from caliper bracket?
Tricks for bleeding lines?
Should I replace caliper seal (looked ok)?
Replace pads (looked good)?

Any other suggestions?

Thanks

·
Registered
3,592 Posts
I had the same problem after cleaning the duel calipers on my bike . I think the use of Moly lube is OK , but I use red rubber lube because it is claimed to be the best (does not disentegrate rubber like some other lubes ) for the rubber parts around the pins.

I know in will take some time to read it all , but you might find a lot of usefull info between the chattings on the thread I placed a while ago ...

http://cx500forum.com/forum/technical-help-forum/26500-brake-pistons-pressure-stays-high.html

Eventualy the litte return hole in the Master Cyllinder was unblocked - I used a surgical glove , tied the wrist part snuggly arround the empty and open master cylinder's top end , made a small inscission in one of the finger points, through which a compressor nozzle was inserted. The glove blow up nicely and the pressure was good enough to clear the openings , and walla ; the brakes are still good and functioning 100 % , up till this day !

·
Super Moderator
21,150 Posts
Old lines that have swollen or developed flaps of rubber internally can also cause this.

Basically, the master cylinder develops more pressure to push the fluid down toward the caliper than the caliper can exert to push it back, - so you end up with a stuck or dragging brake.

If not the return hole Izak refers to I'd check here. If loosening the banjo at the MC does not release the brake but the bleed nipple does you have found your culprit in the line. If loosening at the MC releases the brake it is likely the return hole.

·
Registered
6,818 Posts
What was the condition of your piston? I had to replace pistons on my son's bike they were scored and rusty in spots. Got pistons new from David Silvers.
JDA enterprises make nice brake lines.
Motorcycle D.O.T. Certified Brake Line Kits

1 - 4 of 4 Posts