Honda CX 500 Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
883 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I cleaned a carb using the Simple Green in an ultrasonic cleaner then followed that with carb cleaner from a spray can. The piston, top and spring seemed pretty clean.

But after being pushed down into the top, the piston would only slowly rise and take like 10 seconds to rise completely out of the top.

For some unknown reason, maybe through manually moving it up and down, the piston began to move more freely but is still a bit sticky when pushed into the top. It slides through the carb body with no problem. Is there something I can do to make it move more smoothly? Thanks.

·
Super Moderator
23,734 Posts
Try loosening the top cover screws and retighten slowly and progressively while lifting the piston and allowing it to drop.

Also, are the pistons back in their original carb bodies?

Try polishing the sliding parts by hand with a soft cloth and a low abrasive metal polish.

·
Registered
883 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Try loosening the top cover screws and retighten slowly and progressively while lifting the piston and allowing it to drop.

Also, are the pistons back in their original carb bodies?

Try polishing the sliding parts by hand with a soft cloth and a low abrasive metal polish.

The pistons are in their original bodies.

I loosened/tightened as you suggested, and that seemed to help, but it's still doesn't feel smooth when I push up on the slide, although it drops back down pretty smoothly. I'll look into a polish.

·
Super Moderator
2,852 Posts
The problem you are having is that the brass center of the cap and the chrome slider of the piston need to be cleaned. The sonic won't remove all the build up on them.

Use 0000 steel wool as illustrated in the pictures to clean them up these areas and you should be back to normal again. Be sure there are no dents on the outside of the cover too. The clearance between the piston and the cap is really close. Any dents will restrict the sliders too.

Clean the inside of the brass center.

Then clean the outside of the chrome tube all the way down to the bottom.

The inside of the top needs to be cleaned too but usually isn't that bad after the sonic cleaning.

On the main section of the piston body I usually polish them with the buffing wheel. But cleaning them up with the 0000 steal wool will do just fine.

When your done with the steel wool, make sure you either blow out the parts with compressed air, or rinse them out with hot water to remove any fragments of the steel wool.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.