Honda CX 500 Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I apologize if this has been covered elsewhere - I'm having a hell of a time finding it though...

I'm in the middle of a carb rebuild on a '78 CX500 using Mike Nixon's 'Cleaning the Honda CX500 Carburetor', 3rd edition (got it from Randakk's Cycle Shack). The problem I'm having is that one of the slides isn't moving freely. When I push the slide up with my finger and then let go, it returns very slowly. The guide I'm using suggests that the needle could be very slightly bent, but I'm having trouble tracking down the part number or even the 'official' name for this part. I've been calling it the 'Jet Needle' because it slides into the needle jet, but my searches only return 'Float Needles'.

Any advice on where to get a new one of these, or suggestions on freeing up the slide?

·
Super Moderator
15,399 Posts
If you put the cap in your wand with the vacuum piston in it and the spring in between can you push it down and have it bounce back up? I bet the cap needs cleaning.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the quick response.

It was indeed a cleaning issue. I thought it looked clean, but I went over the cap again with some B-12 Chemtool and took off a bunch of grime. Now the vacuum piston travels freely!

1 - 3 of 3 Posts