Honda CX 500 Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
8,423 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anyone know the size of the ball bearings in a stock steering head set?I don't have any to hand.I assume they are a metric size and can't remember if they are the same diameter top and bottom?

·
Registered
4,104 Posts
4mm pops into my head immediately

I've heard of guys going to bicycle shops for them.

( Halfrauds?)

But, as I've always let them drop on the floor and fitted tapers

I may be mistaken so some confirmation or correction would help.

fairly sure they're all the same size tho and summat like

18 at one end and 19 at tother

·
Super Moderator
23,404 Posts
4mm sounds a little small to me. I'm thinking quarterinch which is what my CB 450s take. They looked to be the same size when I assembled my CX but didn't need to buy any at the time as they really only needed a clean and regrease.

Soooo.... around 6.25mm.

·
Registered
8,423 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
4mm pops into my head immediately

I've heard of guys going to bicycle shops for them.

( Halfrauds?)

But, as I've always let them drop on the floor and fitted tapers

I may be mistaken so some confirmation or correction would help.

fairly sure they're all the same size tho and summat like

18 at one end and 19 at tother

Thanks Reg.I have a feeling they are 4mm but need conformation.I can get them cheap from,

http://simplybearings.co.uk/shop/index.php?cPath=23

I get my wheel bearings from them as well

http://simplybearings.co.uk/shop/ad...032&x=0&y=0&categories_id_src=23&inc_subcat=1

·
Registered
8,423 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
4mm sounds a little small to me. I'm thinking quarterinch which is what my CB 450s take. They looked to be the same size when I assembled my CX but didn't need to buy any at the time as they really only needed a clean and regrease.

Soooo.... around 6.25mm.

IIRC they are small Phreak.I don't think they are 6.3mm.I can't take the head stock of my spare CX frame as it I fitted taper roller bearings to it.

·
Registered
4,104 Posts
Correction !!

I got the 4 right but now checking parts finder

I think theyre 1/4" not 4mm thats nearer 6mm.

this is what it says

P/no 96211-08000

BALL (#8) (1/4)

Qty 37

( I got the 18 and 19 right !!
)

·
Registered
8,423 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Correction !!

I got the 4 right but now checking parts finder

I think theyre 1/4" not 4mm thats nearer 6mm.

this is what it says

P/no 96211-08000

BALL (#8) (1/4)

Qty 37

( I got the 18 and 19 right !!
)

Cool and I already remembered the 18/19 trick

·
Registered
8,423 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
£3.75+ VAT for 50

It's not for either of my CX as their steering is still superb with stock bearings but for another bloke who doesn't want to go tapered kit.

My main ride has just passed it's MOT and my guy there is pretty strict on that kind of stuff.

A couple of years ago checking the steering with the engine running he got me going.He moved the bars left and right and on left the engine revs went up by around 100 rpm.He said,"I can fail it on that you know but won't.Fix it!"

·
Super Moderator
23,404 Posts
18 top, 19 bottom is correct. Or for a bike you cannot get a proper count for, fill the race and remove 1.

Reg is probably right about availability at pushbike shops too. quarter inch is what was used in the crankraces back in the days when bikes still used cotter pins in the cranks.

·
Registered
154 Posts
does the type of bearings matter? doing a quick look on ebay some seem to be chrome and others are stainless.

·
Registered
967 Posts
My repack...

Above is a link when I did my repack...not sure if any of them would help you. I did find that the tie strap made this job easy as it held the forks in place while I was able to pack the bottom race with greast...sort of made it an easy one man job.

I did loose a bearing as you can see,...dont do that

·
Registered
8,423 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Not a dumb question I just don't think anyone knows.Chrome is hard.Stainless steel can he very hard as well.IIRC when I did mine years ago I think they were chromed but not sure.I don't think it would be,"Mission Critical" whichever you used and if there was a quicker wear rate it could take many 10s of thousands of miles to show.

I'm almost certain the ball bearings in one of my CX500s are original and know they are in good state and that bike has 84,000 miles on it

·
Registered
154 Posts
Thanks shep. I was beginning to wonder. Guess I'll compare prices on eBay and place an order.

·
Registered
154 Posts
Thanks shep. I was beginning to wonder. Guess I'll compare prices on eBay and place an order.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts