Honda CX 500 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
837 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I want to install a new horn. I have been on the website of Stebel Magnum and seen (heard) a few examples on Youtube. Anyone out there installed one....comments....

·
Registered
1,265 Posts
Yes, very loud and effective and somewhat of a European sound or a kinda like a "Gut Truck" at work.

Takes up a bit of space, pretty simple to install and well worth the money IMO if its saves your butt just once.

·
Registered
999 Posts
I just bought a Stebel Nautilus air horn (actually two) from an ebay seller that offered free shipping. It was FedEx...

They aren't cheap and they are bulkier than the stock horn and you have to mount them vertical but they are loud and get attention of cagers or other problems where a horn is warranted.

I was reading AZ laws on horns and lights and the like and it read like a horn that is excessively loud could be a source of a ticket in AZ. So, no train horn, eh?

David

·
Registered
837 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
My horn at 28 years old isn't performing as it should, and will look to replacing with another single horn unit.

·
Registered
590 Posts
Got one in the basement waiting for installation day.

Stan

·
Registered
3,771 Posts
I have them fitted to both my CX500s.Nice and loud.No relay required if only using one.I have the,"Low note" versions
According to the video that is an electric horn and not a a Stebel air horn. With the air horn you want to use a relay or you will burn out your horn switch.

I just install the air horn on my brother's GL500I and it is as loud as a truck horn.

·
Registered
74 Posts
I put a Stebel Nautilus Horn on my GL500. Definitely use a relay, as it draws big power. A relay should be included. Pics of mine are in the custom section of the forum, as I just finished my cafe build.

·
Registered
1,493 Posts
I've been looking into a new horn as well. Are those cheapy electric "air horns" from the bay of evil ($7 free shipping) any better than a stock motorcycle horn? They come with a relay and are rated 110 db at 410 Hz.

·
Registered
948 Posts
I've been looking into a new horn as well. Are those cheapy electric "air horns" from the bay of evil ($7 free shipping) any better than a stock motorcycle horn? They come with a relay and are rated 110 db at 410 Hz.

At that price, try one and report back to us!

·
Registered
595 Posts
I've been trying to fit a Stebel Nautilus Chinese clone for the past several months now (read: I'm really just tinkering with it every now and then, it's low priority) and have yet to find a mounting spot for it. My biggest worry is that I ride in the rain a LOT and I know that these horns don't take very well to the rain, so mounting it in the open isn't the best idea. I'm about to install a little cafe fairing (probably not any time soon though haha) and I was thinking of trying to mount it behind it...but even that is a pretty tight space. I tried under the seat, but there isn't nearly enough room, unless I stuck it in my airbox or something lol.

I could potentially mount it under the headlight, but it'll be sticking out quite a bit, and frankly it'd be ugly (and of course, exposed to the rain). Shep's idea I like, but I'm afraid of my forks hitting it in tight slow speed turns, and of course...rain.

Who else has mounted one of these? I'm hoping someone has a great idea that'll make things easier for me once I do prioritize installing it.

·
Registered
7,223 Posts
Well, after hearing the one Shep has on his bike, Im getting one (mine sounds like it should be on a sick scooter lol). Going to order it and see if I can find a good place to mount it where it will be effective and look ok.

·
Registered
250 Posts
Well, I have a set of Wolo Air horns.

http://www.oreillyauto.com/site/c/d...Search_air+horns_1385276_-1&keyword=air+horns

I have installed on one of my fairing bolts on the right side. However, when I went to get my yearly inspection for State of Texas, I was told that the horn was TOO LOUD. I stated, semi-trucks have them so why can I not the same. Was not given a clear answer. Had to get a $9 horn and install on handbars and then took off after it passed. May not go there next year. In Texas, if you do not pass, you must still paid for the inspection,then go fixed the item that failed and bring back for retest--no charge.

Believe me, they are loud and do get the attention when I press that button.

·
Registered
1,096 Posts
I have a pair of Fiamm air horns mounted between the right saddle bag and the rear wheel. The compressor is in the saddle bag. There is a bit of a lag before it works and the stock horn is still attached. A quick jab on the button, beep. A solid push, beepBLAAAATTTTTT! I've only had this bike a month and it is an ex Shrine Motor Corps bike. If I shut off the bike in gear with the key the horn lets off a short blast. Very loud when it happens in the garage. K

·
Registered
25 Posts
I want to install a new horn. I have been on the website of Stebel Magnum and seen (heard) a few examples on Youtube. Anyone out there installed one....comments....

Hi Johnny Canuk....I'm in KIngston Ontario, just down the road. I've installed two Stebel air horns. You definitely need a relay, don't be afraid , just follow instructions. Canadian Tire out here carries an air horn simply marketed as "Extra Loud Horn". Upon further investigation it say "Stebel Nautalis" right on the horn. It' s sold at Can Tire for $69.99. I've purchased mine an Royal Distributing and one near Guelph for $44 new!

They are a tight fit as they are bulk so in both my installs I've separated the compressor from the annunciator horn....very simply done by prying plastic tab obviously hooking the two and twist and pull. Then reattach the two with some vinyl hose....5/16" if I recall.

This allows you to gear clamp the comprssor to a down tube or what ever and maintain the near vertical position that the instructions require for the compressor metal unit. then you thread the hose and annuciator in a better location. I've once used about 12" of hose between the two units with no noticeable lag at all. My last install has about 7" of hose with absolutely no lagtime.

·
Registered
837 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Hi Johnny Canuk....I'm in KIngston Ontario, just down the road. I've installed two Stebel air horns. You definitely need a relay, don't be afraid , just follow instructions. Canadian Tire out here carries an air horn simply marketed as "Extra Loud Horn". Upon further investigation it say "Stebel Nautalis" right on the horn. It' s sold at Can Tire for $69.99. I've purchased mine an Royal Distributing and one near Guelph for $44 new!

They are a tight fit as they are bulk so in both my installs I've separated the compressor from the annunciator horn....very simply done by prying plastic tab obviously hooking the two and twist and pull. Then reattach the two with some vinyl hose....5/16" if I recall.

This allows you to gear clamp the comprssor to a down tube or what ever and maintain the near vertical position that the instructions require for the compressor metal unit. then you thread the hose and annuciator in a better location. I've once used about 12" of hose between the two units with no noticeable lag at all. My last install has about 7" of hose with absolutely no lagtime.

Interesting information! Humm...I'm still learning all the ways of the mechanical world, however do I understand it that you've installed an Air Horn requiring compressed air? I was hoping for a simple electric horn. However if you have any pics I'd love to see them! Thanks.

Johnny

·
Registered
8,422 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Interesting information! Humm...I'm still learning all the ways of the mechanical world, however do I understand it that you've installed an Air Horn requiring compressed air? I was hoping for a simple electric horn. However if you have any pics I'd love to see them! Thanks.

Johnny
Yup this is available at Royal Distributing...Guelph Barrie Oshawa

http://www.stebel.it/stebel2009/products.asp?IDserie=6&uso=&tipologia=ELECTROPNEUMATICS

This image shows the metal air compressor....can easily separate to better fit. Both installs I did could not accept the unit as a whole. Easy to break apart and reattach with a few components and some epoxy. I have no images of my install.

Basically a 12 V air compressor with relay and 15 amp fuse inline. The compressor without the annuciator attached sounds like an air tool....really revs and torques like crazy but when well mounted upright it works well.

So I have purchased the above unit at a place, can't remember the name but was in Guelph for $44 Cdn and I've seen the Stebel Nautalis for $70 at Canadian tire but is marketed as 'extra loud air horn' but right on the horn it states Stebel Nautalis made in Italy.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.