Honda CX 500 Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
78 CX500 with 4700 miles
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
1978 CX500, 4700 miles, inherited from my father. I believe I have determined the stator is bad. Bike starts and runs, but I think the new battery is firing the coils. I have the rear engine cover removed and I am ready to replace the stator. Can anybody recommend a reliable parts supplier who will sell the stator that fits this bike?
Background: my battery charger has an alternator check feature which indicates the alternator is bad. After riding a few miles, the battery is sufficiently discharged that it does not have enough charge left to start the engine.
Engineering Gear Machine Office supplies Auto part

·
Registered
1978 CX500 "The Grub", 1983 GL650I "Nimbus"
12,075 Posts
The ignition windings in your stator are firing the coils. Unfortunately, you'll need to replace that functionality along with the charging part.
You have a couple options. You can replace it with the same so-called "G47" stator for any CDI-fired CX500 (through 1981.) That's an expensive part.
You can install a charging-only "G8" stator for a GL500 or '82 CX500C. This costs less, but requires an aftermarket replacement of the CDI unit to use ignition power from the battery. This is a more robust system, so it might be the better long term solution.
CDI replacements can be either the Ignitech out of Czech Republic, or the Rae-san unit out of Australia. Ray is a member here and offers excellent support. I don't have direct experience to recommend it.
I've run an Ignitech unit for about a decade and am very satisfied with it. I've only dealt with one failure (on a local member's bike), but I don't know the circumstances that might have contributed to that.
While it's open, get a good look at the camchain, and replace it if it doesn't show a good amount of life remaining.
Expect to replace the mechanical seal in the water pump.
It's a good idea to replace the springs in the starter clutch with Honda OEM.
Replace all the o-rings that are exposed in opening the case.

Reactions: washoe

·
Registered
1978 CX500 "The Grub", 1983 GL650I "Nimbus"
12,075 Posts
Let's back up a step. Have you performed the normal resistance tests to determine that the stator is faulty? It is the likely culprit, but the rectifier/ regulator plays a crucial role, too.
You can get similar symptoms from a poor main ground connection.

·
Super Moderator
'84 CX650E that is evolving into a GL500
18,407 Posts
You can also have similar results if the connector between the regulator/rectifier and the stator (3 yellow wires) is corroded or loose.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts