Honda CX 500 Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
108 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
After the restoration I'm taking the bike out for short rides to sort out the small niggles....one that has me stumped is the stator wiring at the harness plug. I used a multiblock to connect the stator to the harness, after a long ride I noticed that one line had melted the plastic insulation. I then fitted new bullet connectors, ran the bike for awhile and the wires were warm again.

Now the whole setup is charging, 14.2-14.7V from idle to 5000rpm. Manual tells me 14-15V is fine....new battery, bike starts and runs fine but for this warm wiring, is it possible that one part of the rectifier circuit is shorting to ground which is causing this heating but still charging the battery?

I've done the Ignitech "upgrade" with Ricks single output stator and everything works well bar this excess heat being generated under my bum...

Anyone had this?

·
Registered
1,517 Posts
Any Heat in a wire or a connector is a sign of excess current flow or too much resistance due to faulty or deteriorated connectors. I doubt that your stator has a leg shorted to ground as it puts out enough current on each to "Weld". Also a shorted to ground RR would fry if the mains fuse did not blow. All Electricity will take the shortest path to ground... you won't get it both ways.

IF the connection at either end of the yellow wires is deteriorated this added resistance can cause heat. If the wires are warm to the touch, I would not be too worried, If they are uncomfortably hot or burning, something is def wrong in a not so good way

When these electrical intermitants act as resistors, they usually get worse over time resulting in "open" circuits and dead bikes. IF you have not done it... it cannot hurt to service every bullet and block connector on the bike... also re attaching the grounds and measuring them for zero resistance is important.

A fuse is simply a piece of wire rated to carry so much current at a specific voltage before it gets hot and melts, opening the circuit and saving more expensive components from being fried. Conversely if a piece of wire in a circuit is getting hot, eventually it will act like a fuse, melt and open the circuit. sometimes it is an issue that is a "Wiggle" on and off... more likley, a dirty or corroded connection that is going "south".

HTH.... Jeff

·
Registered
8,423 Posts
I don't have an Ignitech so can only give general advice.

Both the battery and the Regulator/Rectifier work in conjunction to use/dissipate current.Once the battery attains it's full charge excess current is dumped as heat via the fins on the RR.

Is the wire that's melting one from the Stator or one of the DC wires?

I'd first double-check all connections and have read of the wiring diagram again for both the Ignitech and against the wiring loom diagram,

http://globalcxglvtwins.hostingdelivered.com/viewtopic.php?f=8&t=176

save and print out yours if need be.

·
Registered
1,517 Posts
Hi Shep, Trev, All... hope we all having a good holiday

This is a good link to illustrate where some leak to ground, open circuit, and heat generating issues might come from. linked From the GD topics, quick ref section.

http://www.genebitsy...atorfailure.htm

EDIT: I wanted to add that I was able to simply click and drag the wiring diagram image to my desktop. (apple os) ThX for that link Shep.

·
Registered
108 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for the feedback, will have a look see....I think the original multiblock was under spec in current load as I did not realise how much current the stator can generate.......

One thing I will check is the ground connection as the bikes frame has been powdercoated and the ground could be on the iffy side.

Thanks for the help.

TREV

·
Registered
4,104 Posts
I noticed my 3 way stator connector was

getting hot last year and so I trimmed back the wires

then crimped and soldered new ones on

that cured it.

Good grounding is very important as well of course

·
Registered
108 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Ye I just did a solo 180km trip and everything was perfect, the motor ran sweet, stator wires "warm" but nothing serious, grounding perfect, charging well...all in all, have not done the ttrip in 7 yrs on the old bird and she ran without missing a beat....

Thanks again for the assist..

1 - 8 of 8 Posts