Honda CX 500 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
1,164 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
can you test a stator for a 78-81 CDI CX without a running bike? I was thinking MAYBE if you could make it turn over on the ground just hooked up to the necessary wires that you might be able to test it that way?

There's someone who has a stator to sell me, but doesn't know the condition, so we're wanting to try to test it somehow.....

·
Registered
154 Posts
if you don't mind helping a simpleton out...

as i read this i'm understanding "5/9 - 387 - 473" to be that i put one lead on pin 5 and one on pin 9 and hope for anywhere between 387 and 473.

the thing throwing me off is "Check meter, leads and pin 5 bond to earth before test". does this mean everything has to be hooked up on the bike? what if the engine is out on a table? does it just mean to make sure the stator is attached to the engine? am i over thinking this?

·
Registered
1,206 Posts
Pin 5 is the EARTH pin. You measure against this, so you need to have a GOOD earth as a reference point.

If pin 5 is not a good earth then the results will be biased.

·
Super Moderator
23,713 Posts
For the purposes of testing a stator out of the bike the metal mounting flange in the centre will do for your meters earth terminal.

If you are doing the full tests with pulsers attached these pulsers will also need to be earthed back to the centre plate or you will get no reading.

I put a couple of jumper leads between the pulser bodies and the stator centre.

·
Registered
948 Posts
If anybody has a stator laying around, pictures would be a big help. I don't - sorry and stick with it. The guys here on this forum are the best for helping out.

·
Registered
154 Posts
This stator is in the engine on a bench. Everything checks out except for one number... and we're close on that one. Here's the numbers.

First, Sheps beep test... Things beePed when they were supposed to and didn't when they weren't. So it looks like the charging part is "good".

Now for the numbers...

1/5 - 116.5 (95-116)

2/5 - 98.3 (81-99)

3/5 - 215.8 (185-225)

4/5 - 116.5 (95-116)

6/5 - 98.3 (81-99)

7/5 - 215 (185-225)

8/9 - 85 (77-95)

5/9 - 356 (387-473)

That last one is a little low. So what do y'all think, do we have a possible good stator here?

·
Registered
154 Posts
the only one of my meters i can find simply has an ohms setting. and if i'm understanding correctly then my 5/9 number reading is just fine. since pin 5 is my ground i won't get any different number moving my ground lead from pin 5 to the engine (no frame to attach it to). now i didn't measure pin 8 to ground... because it wasn't part of the test in the original pic. i'll give it a look after dinner. but my guess is we have a "good" stator.

·
Registered
8,423 Posts
the only one of my meters i can find simply has an ohms setting. and if i'm understanding correctly then my 5/9 number reading is just fine. since pin 5 is my ground i won't get any different number moving my ground lead from pin 5 to the engine (no frame to attach it to). now i didn't measure pin 8 to ground... because it wasn't part of the test in the original pic. i'll give it a look after dinner. but my guess is we have a "good" stator.

It's looking that way

·
Registered
3,999 Posts
now i didn't measure pin 8 to ground... because it wasn't part of the test in the original pic. i'll give it a look after dinner.

I'll take a shot in the dark,,,,pin 8 to ground you get,,,,,441

·
Registered
3,999 Posts
435. You were close

It should be the total of 8/9, and 9/5.

You had 356(9/5) and 85(8/9),,,add them together and you get 441,,,not sure what it means if they don't add up.

·
Registered
154 Posts
User error. Just measured again and got 85 and 352/353. That equals 437/438 which is close to 435/436 that I was getting. Seems close enough to me.

·
Registered
3,999 Posts
That sounds better.

·
Registered
65 Posts
Hey Guys!

Was exactly the post I was looking for.

I just wanted to know, my '79 CX500 tests correctly on the big plug (According to the original Honda service manual) but the small plug (with the White and Blue wires) test as follow:

White and Blue - 73 Ohm

Green and White - 206 Ohm

Does that mean my stator is bad?

Thanks

1 - 20 of 20 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.