Honda CX 500 Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
167 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My bike will not start. I am getting spark to the plugs, but it seems yellow and not as strong as I think it should be. I just tested the stator with my multi meter. Everything was within spec except for pins 5/9. This is the low speed source coil test. My meter read 343, and I believe this is about 40 ohms below the low end spec. What does this mean? Would this prevent my bike from starting? Does this mean the stator has to be replaced?

·
Registered
167 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
It may prevent starting as it is the low speed coil the bike starts on.

Try new plugs, stripping and cleaning the plug caps and replace the resisters with brass rod etc. if they're corroded.

Clean the coils earth and all connections between the stator, the CDIs and the coils. Sometimes a dedicated coil earth back to the battery can give a stronger spark

With luck, then it will start.

That stator reading sounds ominous though,but IMHO should still run.

Also, is it cranking nice and fast with a well charged battery?

I did replace the plugs and coils/wires. I will try the dedicated coil to earth. Right now the battery is reading 14v. It seems to be cranking fast, but I have never had it running, so I am not sure how fast it should turn.

·
Registered
167 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks for the help guys. I recharged my battery, then used some starter fluid. It finally fired up! It was a great feeling.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.