Honda CX 500 Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
1,384 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

This is a picture of a stator from a 1977 gl 1000. I am wondering how I can find out if it will fit in my bike. It seems to have 3 wires coming out, and the mounting looks the same. My bigest question is about size. I have 1 day to figure this out. It would save me a summer without a bike, or a lot of cash. Should I ask the seller to messure the inside and outside diameter and or the bolt spacings and sizes of the holes?

·
Registered
1,384 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
The part number for the 78-81 starter is 31100-415-005, but it includes the rotor. Looked n looked and I cant find a number for the stator only. All the other years and makes have part numbers for the stator by itself. So much for trying to cross reference numbers I guess. The 83 gl 650 stator is the same as the 82 gl 500. But that does nothing for me lol!

·
Super Moderator
24,023 Posts
I THINK that the GL1000 stator will fit CX500s from 1982 onwards.

But since your bike is a "78 you won't be able to use it without fitting an ignitech or Raymodule to power your CDI as this particular stator does not have the ignition charging coils.

The stator wiring also appears to be shorter. Not a big problem, - just another difference.

·
Registered
1,384 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I THINK that the GL1000 stator will fit CX500s from 1982 onwards.

But since your bike is a "78 you won't be able to use it without fitting an ignitech or Raymodule to power your CDI as this particular stator does not have the ignition charging coils.
That would be ideal then! My biggest fear is about it fitting to the case, and inside the rotor. Size does matter lol!

·
Registered
4,102 Posts
It looks like a G6 type

From a local page

G6 Alternator

To Fit :- (Stator size 115/54/28mm) GL1000 Goldwing 1975>. GL1100Goldwing 1980>. GL1200 Goldwing 1984>

same size as the G8 and probably similar output, just a

different case grommet, not much of a problem to take it off

G8 Stator Size 115/54/28mm

G47 Stator size 115/54/20mm

You have to consider the run and lay of the cables

as they gather and run from the stator out of the case, you cant tug this lot about too much.

Electrically and assuming its in good nick, it should work

Physically and assuming the bolt holes match, it may be a wee bit fiddly.

As said, if you want to put this in a CDI bike

thats only part of the process

·
Registered
1,384 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
It looks like a G6 type

From a local page

G6 Alternator

To Fit :- (Stator size 115/54/28mm) GL1000 Goldwing 1975>. GL1100Goldwing 1980>. GL1200 Goldwing 1984>

same size as the G8 and probably similar output, just a

different case grommet, not much of a problem to take it off

G8 Stator Size 115/54/28mm

G47 Stator size 115/54/20mm

You have to consider the run and lay of the cables

as they gather and run from the stator out of the case, you cant tug this lot about too much.

Electrically and assuming its in good nick, it should work

Physically and assuming the bolt holes match, it may be a wee bit fiddly.

As said, if you want to put this in a CDI bike

thats only part of the process
Thank you! Was hoping you would chime in
The 8mm diff is in the width right? Would there be enough room in the rotor? Maybe its because im tired, but it seems the only way I'll know for sure is if i had my motor apart and had the other stator in hand. Even with the right stator, ive seen to many pictures of brand new stators being junk for the dumbest reasons. Dumb meaning they are fiddly, not as in stupid

·
Registered
4,102 Posts
I gave a guy over here a couple of pulsers from a scrap stator so he could

fit a G8 in a case and I think others have fitted them in place of G47's

but they'd have to confirm this as I havent actually done it myself

·
Registered
1,384 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Good question. Will an 82 stator fit in the 78 cx500 rotor? Is the rotor the same as the pulser? Just a diff word?

·
Super Moderator
24,023 Posts
My 81 {CDI} bike runs an 82 {TI} stator, but with a Raymodule power supply {Made in Oz}. Or you could fit an igniteh ECU

which is self powering from the bikes 12v. as I will be upgading to in the next week or so.

The 82 and onwards stators are a direct replacement into the earlier rotor, no clearance issues but the same as the GL 1000 stator still do not have the ignition power coils.

·
Registered
1,384 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I gave a guy over here a couple of pulsers from a scrap stator so he could

fit a G8 in a case and I think others have fitted them in place of G47's

but they'd have to confirm this as I havent actually done it myself
Hey Reg, would you happn to know about how many feet I need of this 18swg/1.25mm polyurethane insulated copper wire? Anyone?

·
Super Moderator
24,023 Posts
If you mean to do a rewind, then about 40 metres of wire to do the charging windings of the stator on a TI stator, slightly less for a CDI stator.

·
Super Moderator
24,023 Posts
If I read the website correctly, you would require the 1 pound/128foot roll of 16 gauge magnet wire @ $22.90.

·
Registered
1,384 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
If I read the website correctly, you would require the 1 pound/128foot roll of 16 gauge magnet wire @ $22.90.
But is that if I'm making the hi speed windings? Because I wasn't planning to. So that would be another 3 poles at 24 turns each? I was going by this thread on how (I'm not sure who it is) wound his. Oh and good call on that 16 gauge vs 18. The AWG is quite a bit different than the SWG standard on the other side of the pond.

This is the best deal I could find online.

Anyone with winding experience or an opinion please speak up!

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.