Honda CX 500 Forum banner

Stator Replacement

15K views 23 replies 10 participants last post by  Stan 
#1 ·
Guys:

I need to replace the stator on my 79 CX 500. Where do I get a replacement stator?

Bill

#3 ·
hi bill and welcome.please spend a few minutes to update your signiture and avitar.include your bikes details and where you live in the world.

its quite difficult to advice someone where to purchase things if they havnt a clue where they live.

#4 ·
I am a working 66 yr old who began riding July 2009, rode about 2,800 miles on a 79CX500 that had 13250 miles when I got it.

I had to have it towed home, replaced the CDI (Cobram's purchase) and then it kept dying on me. Mechanic says I need to replace the stator. I am willing to try to do so myself, but I need help. I am clueless about modifying the almost right part, If I can't get the correct part, I will never get the bike running again.

#7 ·
hi bill,thanks for updating your profile.sometimes members live very close to-gether and are willing to help each other out for the cost of a beer and a burger.

just curious,how did your mechanic come to the conclusion...you need a new stator...do you know how he tested.

if it proves to be faulty,there are plenty of guys here that will walk you through it.its not difficult.

good luck

#6 ·
Bill

There are plenty of threads on this boad discussing parts needed and process to switch the stator.

Few things you'll need:

1. New or rewound stator, like this: http://www.ricksmotorsportelectrics.com/proddetail.php?prod=21-123&pmc=NzlIb25DWDUwMA==

2. At minimum rear gasket

3. Coolant passage way o-rings

4. Oil seals since you are there

5. Possibly cam chain and adjuster if needed do it now

6. I would also do the mech seal.

Here is a good place to start: http://choppercharles.com/cs/forums/172615/ShowPost.aspx

#8 ·
I also have a 79 cx500 std. Bike is currently running, 48K miles, ok after a 14 yr storage. I did replace CDI with Ignitech--still no problems and battery is being charged. I have a number of minor repairs, etc to get it running. So far it has been 4 months but only been riding about 600 miles.

I am interested in a future purchase of the stator. I am the orig owner and I have never been into the engine. Again, been trying to read various threads. I have not done any tests yet- Just want to be prepared.

Can someone suggest a current supplier for my bike. Since I have the Ignitech- do I get a G-8? I reviewed the suggestion for Rick's but it stated "does not include pickups". Again, I am not familiar with what I need. I just want to be able to remove old one and install the replacement.

Since bike been down for so long, I am hoping that I can ride for awhile before I have to get into the engine. When it comes time, I am sure that I will do all the seals, etc. Clutch is rattling some when not lever not pressed. I think it should last awhile.

Anyway, please advise on stator. I will do separate threads for other items.

Thanks Again,

#9 ·
Billb, replacing a stator sounds like a huge job, but having just torn my engine apart to do it I can tell you it is actually really easy. You also dont need tonns of specialty tools, just the normal stuff most people have. As for how too, this forum contains tonns of great info, pics, and proceedures to make it a lot simpler, plus the people here are the best and will all help you every step of the way. Most have done it themselves and I had the benifit of all this help to make sure i didnt mess it up.

#10 ·
Thanks for the reply - although, I hijacked this thread to since it had some info. Not sure if Billb has replaced his stator or where he got it from.

I have been following your adventure. I got everything over in a MS Word document--just to have in one place.

What kind of stator should I buy with the Ignitech and from whom? I am sure that I can handle--hopefully later----just would like to get the latest available --although it may change in 6 months.

Thanks Again

#11 ·
Well, from my limited knowledge I would say you bike being a 79 probably has a CDI which means it uses the other stator, G47 or something like that, which has two coils as part of the stator (the coils you dont need usuing Ignitech). You can change out the old Stator with a G8 one (about $65.00 new) BUT, you also have to change out the main Rotor (not sure exactly why as I have a TI bike, but all docs here state the rotor must also be changed, probabaly a size difference on the inside diameter where the stator sits).

The stator I got was new, from RMStator who I think are in Quebec, cost me only $65.00 plus shipping and came with new connectors and pins (for both sides of the connector). Most people I have talked to prefer these over other suppliers as they seem to have better quality control. I am very pleased with mine, and will be even more pleased when I get the engine back together lol

Hope that helps

#12 ·
Just saw your update today re getting your stator in.

I changed the CDI to Ignitech-hence I read that the G-8 would be ok. Did not know about rotor. Will do more research. Since I live about 10 miles south of the NASA complex in Houston, we have plenty of 100+ days ( this year) to ride and little rain. My home has only seen about 1" since Feb. The level of the pond next to my property has dropped 6ft. I only hope we do not get all of our rain in a day or two.

Love the pics

#13 ·
Thanks, the job has actually been very easy as every time I get stuck someone here save my butt
This is such a fantastic bunch of people here, and they have sure increased my bike fun 100 fold

#14 ·
You do NOT need to change your rotor, in fact if you do your bike won't start.

The CDI rotor has a button [brass I think] that tells the spark pulsers when to fire. The TI rotor does not have this button which is still required by the ignitec unit.

By all means fit the G8 stator instead of the G47.

The G8 will be just fine in your existing rotor so save the dollars on the rotor.

My bike runs a similar set up to this and runs well.

#16 ·
You do NOT need to change your rotor, in fact if you do your bike won't start.

The CDI rotor has a button [brass I think] that tells the spark pulsers when to fire. The TI rotor does not have this button which is still required by the ignitec unit.

By all means fit the G8 stator instead of the G47.

The G8 will be just fine in your existing rotor so save the dollars on the rotor.

My bike runs a similar set up to this and runs well.

Thanks for the clarification on that, as I dont know a lot about the CDI system. I know I saw posts stating that you had to change the rotor with the Stator, but I probabaly misunderstood and you only need to do that going from a TI and G8 to a CDi bike. Now I understand, the reason for the Rotor change would be because of that "button" that the CDI bikes need to generate a signal for spark

#19 ·
Sorry FADM, didn't mean to sound so abrupt. Had visions of DannyO ordering a stator he didn't need on ebay......

No problem, I didnt take it as abrupt, I took it as correcting my goof lol I sure wouldnt want him to get a new rotor based on bad info, plus now I have learned something else new
And if I make another goof like that I sure want someone to jump on it :)

#18 ·
I'm about to tear into mt '82 GL500i to do a stator too. (Dead short to ground on all three legs. It's bad for sure.) Unfortunately I'm having troubles with the advanced search function here so if anyone's willing to post links to relevant threads I'd sure appreciate it! Truth be told I have Clymers, Haynes and the Honda factory service manual in it's original binder, so I can get though it without extra help if need be, but I'd sure feel better if I could know that I know all the tips and any shortcuts before I start.

I'm using a rewound unit from Gary at Custom Rewind. He's shipping one out he had on the shelf and I'll ship him my damaged one when I get it out. Gary is really a very personable guy. I'm confident his rewound unit will clear all the tricky spots, but I'll check it very carefully to make sure before I put the whole thing back together.

Here's contact info for Gary. Tell him Johnny from NY sent you!

205-798-7282 or toll free at 800-798-7282.

Their mailing address is:

Custom Rewind

2014 Pratt Highway

Birmingham, AL 35214

#20 ·
JohnnyW, if you do a search on the forum for "stator" you should be able to find a lot of info. I just finished changing mine (just waiting on an oil seal) and the posts and people here made it easy. Here is a link to my pics with some helpfull posts and links by others.

My link

If you have any questions when doing it just post them and someone will help

#21 ·
I have a 1979 Honda CX500 std. I have replaced my CDI with an Ignitech. I have been told that I can use a G8 stator. My bike was stored for 14 yrs but it is now been running for a few months--still charging battery about 14V.

I asked a seller on ebay about one stator-asked if this was a G8 stator.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/HOND...926806QQptZMotorsQ5fATVQ5fPartsQ5fAccessories

Their reply was" We are not sure what you mean by a G8 stator.

Does this one look like yours?

Thank-you

- rmstatorinc"

Should I be looking for a different model stator--'82 CX650 or ???

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/HOND...206575QQptZMotorsQ5fATVQ5fPartsQ5fAccessories

I also sent a note to Rick's but no reply yet

Thanks

#23 ·
...I asked a seller on ebay about one stator-asked if this was a G8 stator.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/HOND...926806QQptZMotorsQ5fATVQ5fPartsQ5fAccessories

Their reply was" We are not sure what you mean by a G8 stator..."

That's completely understandable. Our bikes have one of two basic stators, depending on the type of ignition (CDI or TI.)

On TI (aka TAI) ignition bikes the stator is only used to charge the battery. Electrex World lists this stator as their part number G8 stator, see here. As far as I know, this is simply one manufacturer's model number and is likely meaningless to other manufacturers/rewinders.

Here on the forum, the term G8 has been used (rather loosely, IMO) to refer to the type of stator used on our TI bikes.

If you have installed an Ignitech unit, the TI stator type is a worthwhile upgrade as it can produce more power and is less expensive. It should also be more reliable.

#24 ·
I had the pleasure of dealing with Gary at CUSTOM REWIND for a stator for my '79. At his instruction, I simply unbolted and sent him the stator with pulsars, neutral wire, and plugs attached. He sent me back the complete assembly - stator, pulsars, plugs, and all. Replacement was a simple bolt-in.

While not cheapest, the service was strong and the process could not have been simpler. Thanks, Gary.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.