Honda CX 500 Forum banner

Stator replacement/upgrade

1K views 9 replies 7 participants last post by  CXPHREAK 
#1 ·
Hi i bought a 81 cx500 a couple months ago and I'm trying to get it back on the road. I'm sure this questions been answered a million times. But I know you can upgrade the g47 to the g8 and use ignitech I believe but i cannot find any ignitech systems for sale. or maybe my whole concept of ignitech is wrong (isn't it a sperate ignition system box that runs the engine instead of the pulse generator?) any ways I'm just looking to be pointed in the right direction. I haven't really been able to understand all the things I've read about the stator upgrade
thank you in advanced i really appreciate it. :D

#3 ·
#4 ·
Ignitech bypasses the ignition power generating portion of the alternator, relying on system voltage for ignition power. This would allow you to install a G8, charging-only stator, but depends on the 40-year-old stock ignition trigger coils.
Rae-san offers an option to bypass the trigger coils, as well.
Either solution will work, depending on how your trigger coils check out.

#7 ·
Be careful. Don't muddle the 2 together.

The G8 provides charge only, it feeds the battery.

The Raesan is the ignition system pulling power from the battery.

At least this is my simplified understanding. I'm sure if I am confused, a forum member with 1st hand knowledge can clarify.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.