Honda CX 500 Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
720 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've taken readings on a Stator/Pickup unit I've had sat in the garage. This was done by red probe to 1,2,4 and 6 using one of the pickups as a ground for the black probe. Seems ok? That being said, how do you test the pickups without everything mounted in the engine? I got no readings from them at all (wire number 3, Right advance pulsar and wire number 7, Left advance pulsar.)

Stator tests
1/5=115
2/5=99
4/5=116.7
6/5=98.4

·
Registered
817 Posts
I share your bewilderment Fred. I got only 2 readings from the whole set up and thought it all can't be bad. I bailed out and with the money saved from 3 cancelled holidays, got my stator rewound and ordered a Raesan full hall ignition kit!

·
Super Moderator
20,358 Posts
Connect the components together with jumper leads so that they are all grounded back to the stator, then they will read from the connector..

If testing {say} a random pickup from a pile of spares with just the 2 stubs of wires hanging out of them. You probe each wire in turn while placing the other probe on the pickup body to ground. All being well, the figure as applied to the chart should tell you which is which with regards to high low. But the mounting into the back cover coupled to engine direction will also tell you. As the high speed pulser is switched under advance conditions it will 'lead'.

Your pickup numbers look good.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts