Honda CX 500 Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
OK, here's the situation. With the OEM CDI I had no spark at the plugs - engine cranked fine. I pulled the engine and pulled the stator thinking it had gone bad and was planning on replacing it, but then I had a thought that it may not be the stator at all, it might be the CDI took a dump. I got an Ignitech from Cobram and am now stumped on what to do next; 1). Put the old stator back in and hook up the Ignitech and hope it works,(otherwise I gotta pull the engine again, or 2). wait 'til I get a new stator and then put the engine back together to try things out. Any suggestions or ideas? anyone? anyone at all? Beuler?? Thanks, Dan

·
Super Moderator
15,414 Posts
Well your options are to get the gl stator if you plan on using the ignitech or a g47 if you plan to run the old cdi.

The gl stator g8 or g7 will work fine and costs half the price of the g47.

http://globalcxglvtwins.hostingdelivered.com/viewtopic.php?f=17&t=526

The only question now is did you try the ignitech before the engine was dropped? and is throwing it together and taking it apart again worth the $20 for a rear cover gasket.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
thanks for the reply. I had pulled the engine before the Ignitech arrived, so I had no chance to try it out with the oem stator. Question is; the 2 pick-up coils are retained while the pulse rotor is eliminated if I use the G8 stator? And I will be only using pins 1,2,4,5,6 from the lg connector, while pins 3&7 are eliminated? I assume 3&7 are for the pulse rotor. Am I correct? Thanks

·
Registered
1,871 Posts
I can't answer your pin questions, but if you have the money and you have it all apart I'd just get the new stator, that'll be one less thing you have to worry about and should last a long time.

·
Registered
583 Posts
I can't specifically answer your question either. However, the GL stator only has conenctions for the three yellow wires. You could always combine the GL stator and the CX pulser units into one harness and use that.

That is what I plan to do. The GL stator also gives you more usable power!

-Brendan

·
Registered
810 Posts
There is a thread somewhere on here and the global site that shows you how to test the condition of your stator with a multimeter. What was said above certainly is reasonable too. New stuff gives confidence if it works when plugged in!

I had my engine apart earlier this summer and chose to leave the old stator. It's still giving reliable service.

I too bought the ignitech from Cobram's group buy last spring. I glance regularly at it hanging from my shop pegboard, maybe a cold day this winter I'll swap it for the CDI.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Well, I decided not to take a chance and try and see if the old stator would work, so I ordered a new one from Wemoto. Honda GL 500 DC Silverwing PC02 (82-85) Generator - Stator @ 69.50 £ 69.50 Hope it's the correct one! Nowhere does it say G8. Please tell me it's the right one.

·
Registered
8,423 Posts
1 - 8 of 8 Posts