Honda CX 500 Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Need advice on a coating material, epoxy, resin, ect, that is good to use on the stator windings and internal connections. This isn't for the external connector. I had a bad stator that I've been able to repair and now I need to coat the wire connection points at the windings. I've checked out several products and am looking for low cost, $10-$20 or so. Color doesn't really matter, but I figure black.

·
Registered
1983 cx650c
986 Posts
I replaced the stator on my bike 2 years ago and used JB weld epoxy to coat the windings. Stator was the economy priced do it yourself variety. Jb weld is under $10 for the two tube package- high temp fortified epoxy. So far so good!

·
Registered
278 Posts
There was an old thread on the forum on this. Whoever it was used JB weld and thinned it with mineral spirits.

Reactions: bahn88

·
Super Moderator
21,427 Posts
Suitable epoxy resins for high temp applications are available from electric motor rewinders. I used this when I rewound some stators. I think I may have some left if anyone wants the brand.

I have also used JB weld to insulate the connection points to the stator.

While that stator has worked flawlessly Ray expressed concern as to the suitability of JB weld as it apparently contains real metal that may be conductive. Resistance testing on all settings showed no continuity though and that stator has also worked well with no problems.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks. I'll be checking that out. In the mean time, has anyone made or repaired one of the source coils? The high speed is open, and after removing it I wonder if I can get the coil housing from somewhere. Does anyone know a possible source? I've been checking several sites and so far no luck.

·
Super Moderator
15,165 Posts
There was an old thread on the forum on this. Whoever it was used JB weld and thinned it with mineral spirits.
I used JB Weld thinned with acetone to touch up the coating on the stator when I rewound the stator 4 years ago. Is that what you're thinking of?

FWIW, I asked about what to use to pot the windings at the place where I bought the wire and he offered to dip & bake it for me for about $25 so that's what I did.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts