Honda CX 500 Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have been lurking on this forum for a month or two but now I'm one of us. I have a 82 GL500 that needs a stator among other things and what makes me one of us, correct? The bike was last registered in 06 so it has been setting up for a while. It runs very rough, I'm sure the carbs are plenty gunked up inside and need a thorough cleaning.

When I start the bike with my multi meter connected to the batt the voltage shows a constant decline.

1. What is the most cost effective way to go when replacing the stator?

2. Where does one purchase a new stator?

3. Where does one purchase gaskets and O rings?

Y'all talk about a mechanical seal, this is the water pump shaft seal that keeps the coolant on the coolant side and the oil on the oil side right?

4. Where does one purchase a mechanical seal?

5. Are there any easy upgrades that should be done while replacing the stator?

6. What type of coolant is acceptable to use in this bike?

I know these questions have been answered before but I thought I would ask anew, pardon my laziness.

80x22

·
Super Moderator
11,455 Posts
I always wonder what folks mean when they say "I've been lurking for months" and then ask questions that have had many threads, posted answers, suggestions on looking in the Quick Reference et al. What do they see when they lurk?

What does Lurking mean?

As for your questions, most of the information you want is in fact in the General Discussion forum within the Quick Reference section.

Ricks stators has been mentioned, the Yamaha mechanical seal is what many have used cheaply

Most gaskets can either be made yourself, or bought on Ebay or the online sellers like HondaDiscount *which we get an extra 10% off*, Bike Bandit, and the like....quite a few to choose from.

One caveat, for the Head Gaskets, and the Rear engine case gasket, stick purely with OEM Honda gaskets.

Definitely get those carbs cleaned right, I highly recommend getting LRCXed's book on the process. Having an Ultrasonic cleaner such as found at Harbor Freight will make the process much easier.

Hope that helps, and welcome in to the forum.

Joel in the Couve

·
Registered
640 Posts
I've gotten most of my parts at local motorcycle shops here in San Francisco. A few I've gotten from ebay.

Yep, the mechanical seal does in fact keep the water and oil separated. Its mounted at the rear end of the camshaft. Many of us use a Yamaha seal 11H-12438-10-00 because it costs around $18 versus $65 for the Honda and works every bit as good.

While replacing the stator, its a good time to check the stretch of the camshaft chain. If chain tensioner is maxed out, its time for a new chain.

While some may disagree, I use regular cheapie coolant and not the expensive Honda coolant.

·
Registered
837 Posts
Welcome....glad you've come out of the closet!

I'm in the middle of a triple bypass...stator, cam chain and mechanical seal...which has recently taken a back seat to building decks, painting, building planter boxes, etc. Hope to get back to this in ernest next week.

Good advice above. Read as many of the "pinned" threads on the general discussion forum. You'll learn quickly. Don't be afraid to ask questions. Enjoy!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.