Honda CX 500 Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
264 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
saw my neighbor with some from the local tractor/chainsaw place. claims to fix ethanol problems. i am skeptical of any snake oil. smells just like kerosene. has anybody tried it and seen if your mileage went back to where it is supposed to be in any vehicles? startron

·
Registered
837 Posts
Interesting question.

I went to the Star Tron web site and read this interesting bit of information. I think I understand the ramifications on the 10% Ethanol fuel issues better....I think...?

Seems like giving this a "one shot" when you know you have contaminated fuel would be OK.

By the way, have you ever smelled regular fuel injection cleaner? Smells like Varsol to me.

·
Registered
8,422 Posts

·
Registered
837 Posts
Yes, I think they are all basically the same too. That's not to say fuel injection/'carb cleaners don't work. As for fuel system cleaners...well, that's where I draw the line. Because I believe there isn't a line...they are all pretty much the same.

·
Registered
264 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
well the results are in. Since the ultrasonic carb cleaning this spring i have gotton a steady 47.5 to 48 MPG with the gl500 silverwing. After the initial dose of startron fuel treatment my mileage went to 50MPG. since I have put about 5 tanks of gas through the bike my mileage is up to a whopping 53MPG today. thought I would share the news. must be something to it. an 11$ bottle treats 122 gallons of gas.

·
Super Moderator
11,455 Posts
That StarTron article was a pretty good sales pitch, seemingly backed up with some fairly solid citations. Makes a lot of sense, and considering the cost factor, overall might just well be worth a shot. I'd be curious to see if the other treatments contain any of these enzymes. That seems to be the ticket to the issue. And we aren't going to see this E10 crap go away any time soon.

Joel in the Couve

·
Registered
7,223 Posts
It sure does sound good, especially the part of keeping gas"viable" for 2 years. I checked and they sell it at Crappy tire, so Im going to get some and see how it goes. It would sure make it easier knowing I could store the bike for the winter without worrying about the gas going to crap

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.