Honda CX 500 Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Thought I'd share some recent work on my CX that was done primarily by my friend Lee who sold me this great CX over a year ago.

Here's the bike on the day I got it.

The exhaust was pretty well rusted. Sounded cool, but I followed the advice of members here and tracked down a set of Harley stock Dyna mufflers for $30 from a local shop. I dug through a pile of about 50 mufflers and picked out the two nicest ones. Luckily, 1 of the 50 actually had a mounting tab that was bolted on so it could be taken off and rotated to make mounting to the right side of the bike easier.

I took the bike to Lee's where he was able to pull coax the mufflers and HBox off. The HBox was pretty rusted. He did an amazing job of cutting up a header pipe from an Enfield and welding it onto the HBox to replace the worst parts. The new tube fit the Harley muffler perfectly.

Some high-temp black made things look nice again.

Lee then fabricated some brackets.

Right

Left

Finally, he replaced the bars that were on there with some flatter ones from a 750 Lee had in his shed.

I loved this bike already. The new mufflers sound great (though not too loud - which I like) and imho are a big improvement on the look of the stock mufflers. The only drawback as others have said is the printing on the one muffler faces out. Not a big deal. I was toying with painting them black and still might. this would probably make the printing less noticeable too.

The flat bars provide a more forward riding position that goes along well with how I like to ride it.

I've since replaced the mirrors in these pictures with bar end mirrors in black. Don't have a picture yet, but will do so when I get a chance.

The next changes will be to get rid of the windshield and replace it with simple black headlight. Already picked up the ears needed to hold the light. Got them here. I'll give them a plug for a great looking product and FAST delivery. The headlights are out of stock, but I'm not in a rush.

After that, I'll also be looking for some shorter springs for the rear. Hoping that lowering the back will help make the rear of the seat not look so high until I decide to tackle a larger project of a new seat. I love the cafe-style seats, but still want to have an option for 2 up riding.

Anyway, suggestions or comments are welcome. I'll post progress as it happens.

Jeff

·
Premium Member
1978 CX500 "The Grub", 1983 GL650I "Nimbus"
12,251 Posts
The Standard looks good in silver.

Can you post some more pics of the windshield? It looks like it's made specifically for the maggot mini-fairing. Any details?

Thanks,

R

·
Registered
329 Posts
Nice looking ride. I really like the two tone upholstery work. You did a great job with the muffler install. Cleanest retro-fit I've seen yet. Most of us just beat the crap out of them until they slide into the H-box.

I've got the same Harley mufflers on my GL and just decided to paint them flat black. I had some road rash from the P.O. and it was just too deep to do anything about. My Headers had also seen some deep rust and scrapes from going down so I just decided to paint the whole thing flat black. Looks much better imo, however mine didn't look nearly as nice as yours to begin with.

Had I started with a set of near mint exhaust I would've probably kept them chrome. Either way, great looking ride.

·
Registered
402 Posts
I'd love to see another pic or 2 of the windshield as well but damn that is a nice seat the 2-tone is bomb

also those bars would do good as clubmans just flip them over and there you go

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks all for the replies and suggestions. Taking a lunch break and thought I'd roll the bike outside to grab some more snaps of the windshield as requested and also another close up of the seat which has gotten a couple of compliments here.

And here's the seat.

This was done by Joe's Upholstry in Frederick, MD (though before I owned it). I used these same folks to do my '66 Dream seat which was a similar gray-top. In fact, as I recall, the CX seat was done afterwards being inspired by the fine look of the Dream seat.

Not to go off topic, but here's a pic of the Dream.

Thanks again.

Jeff

·
Registered
3,805 Posts
I have the same mufflers on mine, I just hung them from the stock hangers.

·
Premium Member
1978 CX500 "The Grub", 1983 GL650I "Nimbus"
12,251 Posts
Oh, I see you don't have the Maggot mask at all.

R

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.