Honda CX 500 Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Howdy all,

I have a 79 CX 500 C, that will not start reliably. I can roll start her almost all the time (depending on how much energy I have :p ) but when I turn the ignition key to on I get no power to anything but the turn signals (they turn on, but that is it). If I get power to the head light it will crank over and usually start, but if I crank it and then stop before it starts, I am back to everything being dead again.

Trouble shooting so far:
1) CDI was bad replaced with Ignitech DC-CDI-P2 Cranks and runs great when I can get is started
2) Know the kill switch is bad by the starter (look for a replacement/rebuilding guide currently), currently not in the circuit (disconnected by means of the Black with the White Strip Wire
3) Tested all grounding cables and wires, cleaned them off, and smeared them with that Dielectric (sp?) Grease stuff to keep from corroding in my life time (I hope LOL)
4) Checked all wires going from CDI forward for continuity all test good from a resting spot, no wires appear to be pinched
5) Changed out battery in case that was bad, no change
6) Did check the Stator as well I know the High speed supplie is not running correctly, but doesn't matter after switching to the Ignitech CDI. Don't think it is related, but will include in case I am wrong.

What I see as symptoms:
1) When the head light doesn't light up, nothing works except the turn signals (I believe this rules out the Ignition switch)
2) With the bike in this state, I can seem to role start it (Why I don't think the CDI is bad, even though I just replaced it LOL)

Think I covered all my bases, does anybody have any suggestions as to what I could check next? Trying to figure out what I am missing/could be missing to try and track down this problem, but I am lost on this one.

Thanks for the help in advance.
Alex "Puzzled and confused"

·
Registered
418 Posts
don't rule out ignition switch its likely your problem. take switch off bike the white plastic portion is where you should look insert key and carefully separate . key allows you to depress the tabs to separate the switch I hope this is helpful:)

·
Super Moderator
14,117 Posts
The very fact that the results of turning the ignition keyswitch on are not consistent (IE sometimes the headlight comes on and sometimes it doesn't) points suspicion directly at the keyswitch. Try jiggling it the next time the headlight doesn't come on and if it doesn't make the headlight come on try switching it off & on a few times to see if you can get the headlight to come on. If you can get the headlight to light by messing with the keyswitch that is definitely where your problem is.

·
Registered
222 Posts
Take a look at the plug under the ignition, see if it's corroded. If it looks fine, remove the ignition switch and clean it out with a solvent. Turn it upside down, at blow it out with air and repeat until it comes out clean. Let dry, then lube it with lock eaze or similar.

·
Super Moderator
14,117 Posts
Never use Lock Ease in anything electrical. It contains graphite powder and that is conductive.

If you are going to do a job do it right. Electrical contact cleaner is always the best thing for cleaning electrical contacts and everyone should have it in their shop. It also leaves a non-sticky, non-conductive lubricating film behind so that after the contacts are cleaned they are ready for assembly.

·
Registered
222 Posts
Never thought of that but makes sense. Guess I'm lucky, have been using it for years on lots of bikes without issue. Though I only use a very small amount to lube the tumblers. Put it on the key and work around, wipe it off. What would you recommend instead? Eletrical cleaner can't be a long term solution as it needs lube.

·
Super Moderator
14,117 Posts
I think I misunderstood you. Lock Ease is fine in the lock part of the keyswitch. In the switch part it could cause problems.

In the case of an older keyswitch I would tend to spray lots of contact cleaner into the lock to flush out any dirt & old lubricants &c that should never have been used in the first place (the garbage some people use in locks!!!!) and then re-lubricate the clean lock with Lock Ease or some equivalent graphite bearing lubricant.

·
Registered
222 Posts
Haha, yeah I've had locks so gummy that I swear someone "lubed" with chewing gum...

1 - 9 of 9 Posts