Honda CX 500 Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys!

So I'm still a newbie at motorcycle tinkering, but I recently cleaned the carbs from my '81 gl500. I thought that would fix a lot of the idle problems I was having before (for example: rough idle after warm up... actually that was about it) but I seemed to have made things worse. Now it takes me a long time to start the bike and if it does start the idle is worse after warm up then it was before. I check the vacuum hoses from the fuel valve (there is only three, if im correct), and reajusted the pilot screws and had no success. I'm pretty sure that the guy I bought the bike from didn't take care of this machine at all. Also, when I pulled out the gas tank I think the fuel screen was still stuck in the tank and I wasn't able to pull it out to clean it. It looked nasty. It was brownish red. Anyways, I hope some of you can help me out with this problem. I'm moving to Seattle in a few month (from Reno) and I want to ride this thing up there in tip top shape (that, and I have a lot of plans for this cool bike). Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

·
Registered
116 Posts
After you cleaned the carbs did you put an in line gas filter on it? If not sounds like you have rust in the tank. If so and no in line gas filter you might have to clean the tank and seal it and reclean your carbs. Do you have larrys carb book?

·
Registered
8,422 Posts

·
Registered
100 Posts
I've found that getting the idle jet screws right is pretty important as a starting point when setting the carbs up after putting them back on after some work, assuming air leaks etc have been sorted. After some fiddling with both screws you can get it to start and tick over reasonably and then adjust balancing and idle jet setting as per instructions. In my experience if they are out it can be very hard to get the bike to start and run. This may be more noticable if there is still crud inside all the small holes in the carb.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.