Honda CX 500 Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hey Im new to the forum.
I just bought a 79 CX500. I go to college and winter break is coming up wile i have the time I want to get it clean and running, and hopefully do a few things to make it look a little closer to the cafe racer/ bratt style look.
Any one have any suggestions on mods that are on the cheaper side?
More importantly were i can get a fairly priced descent looking seat? (the bike didn't come with one that is usable.)

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
The stuff I defiantly want to change are the handle bars, and seat. not trying to go crazy because I love the old look, Any ideas or help would be greatly appreciated.

·
Registered
598 Posts
Did you want to get a good seat that works now, or were you wanting a good seat for the conversion?

·
Registered
598 Posts
this is my first cafe project, picking and fitting a seat doesn't seem super easy
Seat are cake to fit, as the important thing is the width of the frame. Find that, find your seat. Of course there is position and comfort, but build wise, that’s the stat to look for. Then you can figure length with your frame mods if any. I got mine from Texivana, and love the seat. Picked material and thread and it got to me in under a month. I’m not done with my build yet.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
And what about for handle bars?
I was thinking of putting dirt bike style ones on mine, I see a lot of people do clip-ons,
I have never rid with clip-ons so I don't know how they effect the bike.
I leaning more towards the side of functionality than looks. Any thoughts on handle bar type?

·
Registered
6,821 Posts
No offensive to MobileAzn (that slacker/master builder) but most here would encourage you to get the bike running properly and safely, ride it for a while and let the bike tell you what needs changed. Many start this process only to end up with un-rideable yard art or an unfinished project left to rot. I know this is not the case for Mobile, he's just a busy guy that is in no rush. Take your time, make a plan and work the plan.
By the way take a few moments to do this. It helps others help you. http://cx500forum.com/forum/general-discussion/31323-forum-settings-everyone-should-make.html
Also get a Free FSM from my sig line below

·
Registered
3,804 Posts
MX style bars can be a nice addition with a more aggressive look and feel to the handling with a more comfortable upright positioning

The added advantage of also being adjustable from straight up to more pulled back which is nice for someone with a shorter reach.

·
Registered
598 Posts
No offensive to MobileAzn (that slacker/master builder) but most here would encourage you to get the bike running properly and safely, ride it for a while and let the bike tell you what needs changed. Many start this process only to end up with un-rideable yard art or an unfinished project left to rot. I know this is not the case for Mobile, he's just a busy guy that is in no rush. Take your time, make a plan and work the plan.
By the way take a few moments to do this. It helps others help you. http://cx500forum.com/forum/general-discussion/31323-forum-settings-everyone-should-make.html
Also get a Free FSM from my sig line below
No offense taken at all. It’s just the way I work. Also, I don’t buy anything running.

Sold the GN400 a week ago, so I’m in a little more of a hurry with the CX now. :) I also just need to get spark on the XL250.

·
Registered
1,569 Posts
Check you have spark , fit new spark plugs , pull the carbs and get them ultrasonic cleaned and rebuilt. Drain the radiator and refill with fresh antifreeze, change the motor and rear drive oil. Check your headlight and tail light and indicators all work. Drain the gas tank , remove the petcock and internal strainer and clean the strainer.

But first - download the correct year and model FSM from here https://motovillage.org/wiki/hondacxgl/index.php?title=Main_Page and read it .

·
Registered
831 Posts
Check you have spark , fit new spark plugs , pull the carbs and get them ultrasonic cleaned and rebuilt. Drain the radiator and refill with fresh antifreeze, change the motor and rear drive oil. Check your headlight and tail light and indicators all work. Drain the gas tank , remove the petcock and internal strainer and clean the strainer.

But first - download the correct year and model FSM from here https://motovillage.org/wiki/hondacxgl/index.php?title=Main_Page and read it .
That's an excellent starting list Muzza. Wish I had read such wise words before tearing mine to pieces.

Did you want to get a good seat that works now, or were you wanting a good seat for the conversion?
I'm not very experienced so my words should be taken with caution. I would have thought that if it's only a seat and bars, then there's no problems, although if you hate the seat 'cause it's ugly, it may be difficult to find a "cafe" seat without frame modifications. Other members may correct me if I'm wrong.

If however you plan to do a more thorough build, don't bother until you have a plan (final bike look and specs), and of course, a BUDGET. Major mods can get price ugly. I know this for a fact.

Good luck.

·
Registered
1,569 Posts
That's an excellent starting list Muzza. Wish I had read such wise words before tearing mine to pieces.
Unfortunately excited enthusiasm over-rides practicality and common sense . Thats why we have many "project bikes " offered for sale here......

1 - 13 of 13 Posts