Honda CX 500 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Rebuilding my 81 cx500d and when I press the start button something buzzes and the idiot lights go out.Leave it sit and try again same thing.Put another starter and solenoid in and same problem.New battery,charging now but it showed 13 volts before charging.Any ideas?

·
Registered
226 Posts
If you bypass the start button, solenoid, etc with a booster cable, you can narrow it down to starter, or other

Sent from my Redmi 7A using Tapatalk

·
Registered
226 Posts
Make sure the bike is in neutral. Hook the booster cable to the positive terminal of the battery. Hope the other end of the cable to an old screwdriver. firmly press the end of the screwdriver on the stud sticking out of the starter. There may be a rubber boot covering the stud that you will have to move first. Don't touch anything with the screwdriver on the frame of the bike or it will spark. If the starter turns over normally the problem is with the solenoid or the associated wiring. If the starter still doesn't work, you need to remove the starter and test it as described in the factory service manual.

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I connected the negative battery to ground on bike and ran a jumper cable from the positive and touched the starter cable. Nothing happened except the idiot lights came on.Why would the lights come on?I used car jumper cables should I use something smaller

·
Registered
226 Posts
Just to be clear, the positive cable goes from positive battery terminal to the stud on the starter.

·
Registered
226 Posts
I didn't say anything about the negative. You only need the positive for this test

·
Super Moderator
4,006 Posts
Battery negative to ground. Jumper cable from positive post of battery to the large post on the starter. This will bypass the start button and the starter solenoid to test the fitness of the starter motor.

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
That's what did,starter did nothing and for some reason the oil and neutral light came on

·
Super Moderator
4,006 Posts
Was the cable which runs from the solenoid to the starter disconnected at the starter end?

·
Registered
226 Posts
Interesting. I wouldn't say the results are conclusive, but I would pull the starter out and retry the test separately from the bike. It's a quick job to remove it, and it wouldn't hurt to open up the starter clean it out and test it as described in the factory service manual. You just need a cheap multitester

·
Registered
226 Posts
I missed the part where you said you already swapped out solenoid and starter. Were they known to be working? Did you test them before installing?

I agree that it's starting to look like a gremlin has entered your wiring harness, but it's easier to eliminate the starter and solenoid as the culprits first

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I will take it out tomorrow and test on the bench.When I bought the bike there were melted wires on the right control,ran new wires.All I have done is extend the wires on the solenoid to put the battery under the frame.Any idea why the oil and neutral light would come on?What I was getting when I pressed the start button I would get a buzz and the oil and neutral light would go out

·
Registered
226 Posts
It sounds like some wires might be shorting against each other causing the odd behaviour.
I would still test the components separately, but I get the sense it's a wiring issue.
It might be a good time to print out the wiring schematic and have it by the bike.

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Checked starter on bench it is good.I notice when I mess with the clutch cable the oil and neutral go on and off.Any ideas on that?

1 - 20 of 40 Posts