Honda CX 500 Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi All,

So I just replaced my starter solenoid, (after a little diagnostic, shorted old one with a screw driver, determined this was the issue).
The new solenoid seemed to do the trick, pressed the started button and the bikes started up.

However, I hear a weird whirring sound so kill the engine, and find the starter motor is still running! I then disconnected the battery to get it to stop.
Removed one of the starter button leads thinking it could be that, but when i reconnected the battery it was still engaging. Pulled the solenoid (as i didn't have a multi meter with me), went home 30 min away and bench tested it thinking the new solenoid was faulty, but there was no continuity between the leads, suggesting it's functioning correctly.

I will go back to the bike for more testing with a multimeter in hand, but wondering if anyone has any ideas?

·
Super Moderator
23,111 Posts
Check for incoming power at the yellow/red wire. There shouldn't be any without the start button being pushed. If there is any it will be a switch issue or a wiring short upstream.

Or, just plug it in with the key already switched on and see if it goes click when plugged back in.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for the replies, will do.
Also...
I forgot a piece of the puzzle!
Neither flipping the kill switch, nor turning off the key stopped the starter from cranking-- That's why i disconnected the battery.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Kill won't stop it cranking. It works on the spark.

Did it start doing this after the solenoid change or out of the blue?

It happened directly after i changed the solenoid, yes.

·
Super Moderator
5,160 Posts
Is it possible that the jarring the new solenoid went through,when you removed it to test, caused the connection to break. That would cause the solenoid to test OK even though it wasn't.

·
Super Moderator
5,160 Posts
From the first post, "The new solenoid seemed to do the trick, pressed the starter button and the bike started up." This makes it sound like the starter wasn't running until after the starter button was pressed. Wouldn't that rule out the major solenoid cabling being reversed?

·
Super Moderator
5,160 Posts
Me too :rolleyes::confused:

·
Super Moderator
5,160 Posts
Be sure to let us know what you find. Your solution to the problem may help someone else.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 · (Edited)
Hi All,
I'm sorry I never replied to this post with the solution.. It's been a few years, I did end up doing the starter ground mod (as detailed in motofaction) and i believe I also just ordered another solenoid. I haven't had the problem since.. But I have had at least a couple solenoids burn out so perhaps there is another underlying problem.
thank you all for the assistance, i promise to be more diligent with my replies to the forum.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts