Honda CX 500 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
1982 Honda CX500 custom
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I inherited a 82 cx500. Most of the wiring was set up , but I find myself at a dead end
I have a few wires that I can't seem to name, and all the wires from the starter switch/right handle bar I have no way to hook up currently -- I don't know if I need to change a connector or if I am missing something.
I tried to take pictures to show . These are all housed in the headlight cowl.
*Note the wires used have been matching with the colors on Clymer diagrams.

Hood Finger Automotive lighting Automotive tire Electrical wiring
Finger Electrical wiring Thumb Cable Electronic component

Attachments

·
Registered
1,725 Posts

·
Registered
390 Posts
dig around in the loom. the matching plugs should be there unless someone cut them out. the 3x3 plug is for the keyswitch--it should directly into it.

·
Super Moderator
'84 CX650E that is evolving into a GL500
18,692 Posts
Yeah, that plug doesn't look like anything I've seen on any '80s Honda. Is this the same bike you posted about with the Suzuki switches?

BTW: Please take a few minutes to add your location and your bike's model and model year to your profile (see Forum Settings link in my signature) like I asked you to a month ago.

·
Registered
1982 Honda CX500 custom
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 · (Edited)
So the
The black plug doesn't look stock. You've replaced that switch gear?

Tell us how many wires it has and their stated functions and we'll figure it out.
So the black plug is to a Suzuki gsxr ignition switch
I have labeled the start switch, engine start, stop, and brake wires coming from it.
Wood Finger Electrical wiring Thumb Pliers

I think these are my indicator lights
Finger Plant Terrestrial plant Thumb Nail

Where I am getting confused is the wires on the white plug and the red plug.
Circuit component Electrician Electrical wiring Electronic engineering Electronic component
Finger Electrical wiring Thumb Cable Electronic component

I also have wires from the left handle bar that are hooked up, and th the fuse box is linked up too.
And I am using the diagram from clymer
Schematic Font Engineering Parallel Urban design

·
Super Moderator
5,797 Posts
Azure Font Aqua Material property Parallel

·
Super Moderator
5,797 Posts
The table tells you the colour of a wire and what it connects. Unless you are colour blind this should help you to identify the wires in the Honda harness connectors. Then you just need to identify the appropriate wires of the hand controls to connect to the Honda harness.
If you could make a diagram of the wires of the hand controls that might help us to help you. Failing that, the year and model of the GSXR so that we can look up a Suzuki wiring diagram.

·
Super Moderator
5,797 Posts
I've just been looking at a GSXR 750 1991 and on wiring diagram. The GSXR does not appear to have front running lights unlike the Honda. That complicates things if you intend to retain the stock turn signal assembly of the Honda as the Honda turn signal switch has provisions to turn off the running light when a turn is indicated. Later today or tomorrow I will try to provide a table showing you what to connect where.

·
Registered
1982 Honda CX500 custom
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I've just been looking at a GSXR 750 1991 and on wiring diagram. The GSXR does not appear to have front running lights unlike the Honda. That complicates things if you intend to retain the stock turn signal assembly of the Honda as the Honda turn signal switch has provisions to turn off the running light when a turn is indicated. Later today or tomorrow I will try to provide a table showing you what to connect where.
I am making an attempt on mapping out a diagram so I can see what needs to connect.
For the lights, I don't have stock headlights or turn signals - they are led aftermarket, they look like some cheap universal parts.

·
Registered
1982 Honda CX500 custom
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
To update: I matched the ignition wires up. But like you said, I haven't found a place to connect the headlight dim and headlight fuse ( blue/white , red/black wires)
right now I cant get any spark on the coils

·
Super Moderator
5,797 Posts
Your '82 custom has TAI I believe. If that is the case, the black/white wire supplies power to the ignition when the kill switch is in the run position. The off position cuts power to the ignition. If the GSXR has CDI ignition the kill switch functions differently. In the off position the CDI is connected to ground preventing ignition.

·
Super Moderator
5,797 Posts
To update: I matched the ignition wires up. But like you said, I haven't found a place to connect the headlight dim and headlight fuse ( blue/white , red/black wires)
Your hand controls must have a switch to turn on the headlight and to select hi or low beam?

·
Registered
1982 Honda CX500 custom
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Your hand controls must have a switch to turn on the headlight and to select hi or low beam?
The hand controls are off of a honda cx. It only has hi low and turn lights.
I have the two spark boxes ( is that cdi?)
I guess I could always buy cx500 hand controls with wires.
I was just trying to make it work with what I had present.
I'll take better pictures when I get home

·
Super Moderator
'84 CX650E that is evolving into a GL500
18,692 Posts
I thought you said the switches were from a Suzuki.

Honda used a Capacitor Discharge Ignition (CDI) system that is powered by special windings on the stator for the CX500 from start of production to the 1981 models. The GL500, CX500E, 1982 only CX500C and all CX/GL500/650 models have the later Transistor amplifier Ignition (TI or TAI) powered by the bike's charging system.

Bikes with CDI kill the ignition by shorting it to ground so the kill switch is closed in the Off positions and open in the On position.
With TI (as your '82 CX500C should have) the ignition is killed by interrupting the power to it so the kill switch is open in the Off positions and closed in the On position.

·
Super Moderator
5,797 Posts
What do you mean by "headlight dim" ? What wires come from the left hand control and have you mapped their function?

I thought you said the switches were from a Suzuki.
Bob I think that he wrote CX500 instead of Suzuki by mistake, otherwise why would he replace them with ones from a CX500?

1 - 20 of 26 Posts