Honda CX 500 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 45 Posts

·
Registered
237 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Rode about 8 miles to visit a friend this morning. Near his apt. complex I took the shorter but very pothole infested route. Just at the end of that, near his place I'm hearing what I took to be a large industrial blower or mower. Go the last few blocks and pull up in a spot nose to the curb and switch off still in 1st but the bike tries to climb the curb. Woah! what the heck I say ( or something like that). Think the engine is running on, try for neutral and get higher gears, have the brake on etc. Turns out the starter was engaged ever since the potholes I think. Not sure what caused it to stop, but more concerned with why it started and stayed on. Took a few minutes to look over fuses and battery wiring, got in neutral and started it up, perfectly normal. So the jolting messed with the wires? the solenoid? starter switch? but why would it stay locked on? Suggestions are welcome and I will let you all know if I figure it out (now I know what a starter sounds like spinning really fast)

·
Registered
1,397 Posts
Hi Steve,
Looked at the wiring diagram to figure out your problem , and my guess would be the starter soleniod got bounced hard enough to stick it in the start position( on).

·
Registered
237 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
So I lean toward the solenoid sticking too. I at first thought about the starter clutch but the starter still had 12v power with the engine off. Suppose the likely reason to stick is the contacts welding together when it bounced, I don't think they are meant to come apart but I'll have a look this evening I think. Thanks for the input

·
Registered
237 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Yup, tried that this afternoon. Took off the tank and seat looking for damaged wiring. Wacked the solenoid with a screwdriver handle with the power on. Cranked the engine (with the kill switch off) in many short bursts and longer ones. Started it a few times. All is perfectly normal. Think I'll ride my Yamaha for a few days while I ponder it.

·
Registered
242 Posts
Never heard of this happening on a CX but there's a first time for everything :unsure:

But do take it seriously, there are old and unreliable stories of car starters exploding when stuck in engaged position.

Probably I would run the same checks you did, and if no fault found :

• inspect and clean starter button
  • replace starter relay
  • cut coil power line (from starter button) close to relay and run it to an emergency switch on handlebar
so you can stop it. Maybe, if an intermittent short is the cause

One more scenario I can think of : a small something inside got dislodged by the pothole bumps and got stuck in the starter clutch (yes, seems unlikely, I know, better ideas welcome). You'll only find that by opening it up and very close inspection of the starter clutch area.

Please let us know what you find.

·
Registered
237 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Never heard of this happening on a CX but there's a first time for everything :unsure:

But do take it seriously, there are old and unreliable stories of car starters exploding when stuck in engaged position.

Probably I would run the same checks you did, and if no fault found :

• inspect and clean starter button
  • replace starter relay
  • cut coil power line (from starter button) close to relay and run it to an emergency switch on handlebar
so you can stop it. Maybe, if an intermittent short is the cause

One more scenario I can think of : a small something inside got dislodged by the pothole bumps and got stuck in the starter clutch (yes, seems unlikely, I know, better ideas welcome). You'll only find that by opening it up and very close inspection of the s

·
Registered
237 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
All good ideas, thanks. Think I will take the starter apart and look for damage, it was making an awful sound though it seems normal now.

·
Registered
242 Posts
The starter clutch is inside the engine, not in the starter itself. Engine out job.

·
Registered
237 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Yup it is, but I don't think it is the starter clutch because having shut off the engine the starter would not shut off and kept driving the engine. So bad solenoid or starter buttonor intermittent short in the wiring. I just am back in from removing, disassembling, cleaning, inspecting the starter and putting it all back together. Saw no damage and it still works normally. I think tomorrow I'll clean the starter button innards, see if I have an extra solenoid and maybe rig a cutoff. Thanks for the suggestions and instrest, I'll keep you all posted.

·
Super Moderator
13,681 Posts
I don't know what the problem is but I am certain that it NOT the starter clutch. The starter clutch cannot grab when the starter motor is trying to turn the flywheel faster than the engine is turning it.

Nolimitz and Brink, think about this: Even if the starter clutch was somehow jammed (something I have never heard of in 20 years on these forums) and the engine was turning the starter motor, how would that make the starter motor run when the engine was shut off?

·
Super Moderator
20,517 Posts
A while back I had a series of issues with burned solenoid contacts giving me the dry clicks.

I swapped and cleaned solenoids a number of times but it kept recurring.

This was eventually traced to a bad yellow/red in the flex zone. Someone had probed the wire with a circuit tester leaving a hole in the insulation leading to localised corrosion of the wire.

Once this was found and fixed I stopped burning solenoid contacts.

This is all just preamble to:

I found that the contacts can actually fuse together causing the starter motor to crank.

But you would still need to have pushed the button first.

My guess still is that the yellow/red is contacting the solid black at some point in the wiring though a weak spring in the start button is another possibility.

·
Registered
1,397 Posts
Correct me if I'm reading the wiring diagram wrong , even if you powered the yellow/red wire it still should not run the start unless the bike is in neutral or the clutch pulled in or you would need to ground out the wires going to either switch as well . Possible but highly unlikely.

·
Registered
237 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
"But you would still need to have pushed the button first."
Phreak, it is very possible with the bouncing around on that road my thumb hit the button. I have seen contacts weld together a few times in old cars. Lots of speculation on this one, keeps life interesting. I have ordered a solenoid so having another bike to ride think I'll see if I can carefully get this solenoid apart and see what the contacts look like. That will give us one more clue. And the safety lockouts are intact.

1 - 20 of 45 Posts