Honda CX 500 Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Have kind of a weird problem.

Just went out to start the bike for work and it fired right up as usual, only the starter motor continued to turn over while the bike was running. Turned off the key, kill switch to off, pulled out the solonoid fuse but it kept running. Grabbed my tool kit out of the back and quickly disconnect the battery.

Thought it might have just been a weird thing where i let off on the starter button at just the right, or wrong as it were, time. But I can't reconnect the battery; every time i touch the ground wire to it the starter turns again. So it's basically like I'm hot wiring it I guess.

Where do i need to start looking? Is it something in the ignition switch by the key or a problem with the starter button?

Thanks,

Adam

·
Registered
1,448 Posts
Possible that your starter button is jammed, but I'd be looking at the starter solenoid as the most likely culprit. The 'solenoid' fuse is actually the main fuse and it protects everything after the solenoid which is wired directly to the battery.

·
Registered
2,282 Posts
I would whack the solenoid with a 17mm box end wrench a time or two and then try. Maybe your contacts inside the solenoid have fused. This may not be a long term solution. If that works, either dismantle the solenoid and reverse the contacts or replace it.

·
Registered
4,033 Posts
I would whack the solenoid with a 17mm box end wrench a time or two and then try. Maybe your contacts inside the solenoid have fused. This may not be a long term solution. If that works, either dismantle the solenoid and reverse the contacts or replace it.
My first thought too. I'd upgrade to a 20mm for the weapon!

Starter relays/solenoid are just a switch that's turned on with an electric magnet. Drill out rivets, clean the contacts, find small screws/bolts to reassemble.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Yup definitely the solenoid. Checked the continuity on the starter button as well and it works fine...no sticking.

Thanks for the replies,

Adam

·
Registered
2,282 Posts
So, don't leave us in suspense. Did the 17mm wrench work, or did it take a 20mm? Or, did both fail?

Reactions: DanCX500

·
Registered
1,448 Posts
Generic solenoids are cheap off the Bay. Just double check your wiring.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Actually got it working with a 12mm wrench...must not have been too stuck. Next time I might have to try something bigger.

·
Registered
1,448 Posts
I had a '72? AMC Ambassador SST like that. Had to start it with the hood open and a hammer in hand.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts