Honda CX 500 Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Found the starter problem I think there was an extra thrust washer on the reduction gear for a total of 3.Now the question is where did the extra come from?And also where can I get the rear cover gasket?

·
Super Moderator
11,455 Posts
The rear gasket can be found in many places, probably even at the local Honda stealer. In fact, if it were me, I'd stick with the Honda OEM. But Dennis Kirk, or Discount Honda (mention our forum at DH for an extra 10% off) could be a better price. Even BikeBandit might have the OEM's, but I haven't looked lately.

·
Registered
3,999 Posts
Found the starter problem I think there was an extra thrust washer on the reduction gear for a total of 3.Now the question is where did the extra come from?

This is a link to the parts fiche for the alternator,,it show the 2 washers on the starter gear shaft. I don't see any other washers there.

http://images.cmsnl.com/img/partslists/alternator-cx500c-custom-1979-usa_bighu0112e5015_3d92.gif

This link is to the shift mechanism fiche,,it shows 1 washer on the gear shift shaft, #20.

http://images.cmsnl.com/img/partsli...x500c-custom-1979-usa_bighu0112e5021_bcb3.gif

I do not know where else your extra washer would have come from.

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
All the required thrust washers are there including the shifter shaft.Just one to many.No idea where my uncle got it from when he did the cam swap.Any where on the water pump or cam areait could have came from? It is identical to the starterthrust washers.Maybe he just found an extra part when reassembling.

·
Registered
3,999 Posts
Don't forget to be sure you can shift the transmission through all the gears before you install the engine,,it's a bummer to get it all back together and discover you can't shift gears. B.T.D.T.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.