Honda CX 500 Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
CX500C 1981
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey everyone,

I've been working on the bike for about a year now. It has always started (until now). I've attached a video of an attempt to start the engine. I'm hoping that members of the forum can help me accurately locate the issue. There were indications of smoke coming from the starter motor, suggesting a short circuit.

I posted it to one of the Facebook groups who suggested it was the starter clutch or starter motor.

Showing start attempt

Any tips or clues as to if it actually is the starter clutch, or the starter motor?

Any help is much appriciated.

·
Registered
255 Posts
Both?
The start of the video appears to be normal operation, but then the clutch has clearly disengaged. Clutch spring failure is a known issue with these bikes.
Smoke from the starter is a different issue. Check the wiring and connections for the starter. It's easy to pull the starter, open it up and spray it out with electrical contact cleaner.

Sent from my Redmi 7A using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2,863 Posts
Hey everyone,

I've been working on the bike for about a year now. It has always started (until now). I've attached a video of an attempt to start the engine. I'm hoping that members of the forum can help me accurately locate the issue. There were indications of smoke coming from the starter motor, suggesting a short circuit.

I posted it to one of the Facebook groups who suggested it was the starter clutch or starter motor.

Showing start attempt

Any tips or clues as to if it actually is the starter clutch, or the starter motor?

Any help is much appriciated.
Has the bike been largely idle (sitting) for the year? And what oil are you using....

Even tho a smoking starter motor suggests other issues that need to be rectified....intermittent starter clutch issues do appear on bikes left sitting for long periods...
There is also a starter motor improvement well documented....
This may be something to consider if pulling the starter

·
Registered
CX500C 1981
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Has the bike been largely idle (sitting) for the year? And what oil are you using....

Even tho a smoking starter motor suggests other issues that need to be rectified....intermittent starter clutch issues do appear on bikes left sitting for long periods...
There is also a starter motor improvement well documented....
This may be something to consider if pulling the starter
Yes the bike has been sitting for a year. I just got down to tend to it and check out the ground on the starter motor as you suggested. I pulled it out, but due to a stripped screw I had to put it back in and get more tools.

With intent to check that I inserted it correctly, I attempted to start the bike and it ran well. This was confusing, as I had not actually done anything. It seems you're very correct about the intermittent start clutch problems for idle bikes. I intend to rebuild the starter motor, replace the solenoid and do the ground modification.

As for oil I am using a synthetic Jason MA2 rated oil.

Any tips or tricks to troubleshoot sporadically rough starting?

·
Registered
2,863 Posts
Have you had a successful engine start since the smoking starter issue?

(Starter)Clutch spring may be needed as per post#2-you have indicated a intent on pulling the starter and doing the ground modification this should help.

MA2 rated oil should be fine.
Check your coils and spark plug caps for correct resistance readings...there are threads on how to do that...if you can't find it I can locate it for you in the next day or so. Coils will likely be originals. I am assuming your bike is a CDI bike.

These bikes dont like sitting for long....and like fresh fuel....when all's working keep up fresh fuel to the carbs...emptying the bowls at the end of a ride is one way to do this and stop the float needles sticking...

There will be some obvious tips I've missed but others will add these in......

Good luck

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.