Honda CX 500 Forum banner
21 - 25 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
4,102 Posts
I wouldnt hold the bridge too long, a second or two max.

if it doesnt start spinning the motor right away you may have a dead short and

this may burn out the motor windings or heat up the battery plates.

pressing the button while bridging is pointless

If the starter doesnt start cranking the motor immediately you bridge the terminals

break the contact.

better to find the fault than burn shit out

Does the motor turn on a socket?

is the starter ring gear jammed?

is the starter motor OK?

" " " " cable OK?

as Chicagorandy says, is the battery up to the task?

although you'd generally hear a tired one try unless its

utterly shagged.

If the engine wasnt bonded to the frame/battery neg you wouldnt get much spark

(remember the circuit?)

an internal short on the starter motor is a possibility

didnt you mention leaving somethign out?

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #22 ·
When I was blowing out the starter during my initial clean-out, I found the fabric washer on the floor, not exactly sure where it came from and cannot find an exploded diagram of my starter. I really appreciate anyone's suggestions.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #23 ·
I hooked up the starter to the battery and it runs strong and hard....however, once I put it inside the bike, it wont turn the engine. I know the engine spins because I can push start the darn thing and it runs great, plus I turned the engine just last week when I adjusted the valves and auto tightened the cam chain.

I can feel the gear the starter attaches to and can spin it with my fingers counter clockwise.

·
Registered
8,422 Posts
When I was blowing out the starter during my initial clean-out, I found the fabric washer on the floor, not exactly sure where it came from and cannot find an exploded diagram of my starter. I really appreciate anyone's suggestions.

The Fibre washer is the 1st washer you should put on the shaft before the other metal washer/s when you have the Starter apart

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #25 ·
Thanks Shep for the info on the washer. A big THANK YOU for everyone else for their help and comments. I think I got it identified as being an old and tired starter. I can tell someone had been inside the starter before and didn't put it together correctly, that is why I had trouble finding where the fiber washer went. I ordered a re-manufactured starter and got a new (used but working) solenoid.

The funny thing is, everytime I have a problem in 'uncharted waters' it is amazing how much I learn from it. It also makes me realize how many good people are on this forum that are willing to spend their time explaining to the less educated.

Thanks for all your help. Hopefully I will get to a point where I can start helping others.

Dan

21 - 25 of 25 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.