Honda CX 500 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Tried to start the old girl after 17 years yesterday and it would not crank.Uh-oh so pulled plugs tried to push in 5th no go.Filled the cylinders with penetrating oil and got her freed up by jerking on the rear tire in 5th. Still no crank. Pulled the bike downt the road with no plugs in gear thought maybe still to tight for the starter. Can turn the engine pretty easily now by putting in 5th and turning rear wheel so I think it's free enough to crank.Still no go.Pulled starter off it spins freely when you hit the button with no load.Took it apart and cleaned and lubed still won't crank the engine. The battery is new and tests ok at 11o cca.Even ran jumpers from my truck no help. moved ground to directly at starter ,no go. Is it just time for a starter or is it possible something else is wrong?

·
Premium Member
2,510 Posts
Please take a few minutes to edit your signature to show your bike's year and model.

Check your main fuse. If that's not the problem it's time to break out the multimeter. Some electrical troubleshooting techniques are documented here.

·
Registered
5,563 Posts

·
Registered
602 Posts
It could still be a solenoid problem, have you tried bypassing it?

CAREFULLY jump 12v + to the downstream side of the solenoid or at the cable-to-starter connection lug (don't make sparks near a battery etc.). If you have decent grounds etc. and with power right to it, a good starter should spin a free engine. Do this just long enough to confirm if the solenoid or starter is working or not. Do NOT do this test for long or multiple times, if the starter has an internal issue you could cook things and make them worse.

My GoldWing project's starter would spin fine on a bench but would not spin the engine even if I jumped 12v right to it. The starter simply needed a good internal cleaning.

·
Super Moderator
23,084 Posts
Put your jumper earth to a bolt head on the starter motor mount.

Apply the positive jumper directly to the starter side of the starter relay. If it still doesn't crank with a known good battery, the problem is likely the starter motor itself. This is assuming that there is no internal cause within the engine itself.

Also try a jump lead between the 2 alloy ends of the starter motor in case you need to do the earth mod. If it cranks with the 2 ends connected, it does.

Also, ditto what Interstater said about the muck out.

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Tried jumping the solonoid no go.Cleaned the starter no help.It acts like the engine is stuck. lights dim when hitting the switch.But I would think if I can turn the engine by turning the rear tire it can't be the problem.Is there a possiblity a reduction gear in the case is stuck? Or do these starters act directly on the flywheel?I should probably just order a starter but am really getting antsy wanting to get it running.As I said it spins easily when bench tested and wont even try to crank the engine.

·
Premium Member
2,510 Posts
Try turning the crankshaft from the front with the bike in neutral.

To do this remove the 17mm-head access plug located above/between the clutch cover and the oil filter cover. This will provide access to a 17mm-head bolt attached to the crankshaft. Try turning this clockwise with a socket and ratchet.

If only moderate resistance is felt the engine is not locked. If it is really hard to turn then the engine is probably binding.

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Going to garage and try turning with crank bolt and do volt drop tests.If all is ok I guess I'll have to wait for a starter to get here.Thanks for all the help.

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Main fuse ok, hooked starter directly to 800cca battery still no crank, engine seems to turn easily enough by hand.I would think if I can turn it the starter should even if a little tight.Ordered starter off the bay hope it's good.If that don't fix it I am stumped.I kinda think when my uncle tried to start it after replacing the cam, he did not clean the carbs and cranked to long and fragged the starter.(I hope anyway).Well at least I sorta got ride it yesterday being towed to make sure the engine was frred up if 5 mph behind a truck counts.My buddy wanted to pull start it but I'm not that brave to much can go wrong.

·
Registered
3,999 Posts
I kinda think when my uncle tried to start it after replacing the cam, he did not clean the carbs and cranked to long and fragged the starter.(I hope anyway).

Are you sure it turned over with the starter after your uncle replaced the cam?

If he put the rear cover on without a proper gasket,,or misplaced a washer on the starter gear, this could bind the starter gear.

If you remove the starter, you can see a gear inside the rear cover, you should be able to turn that gear one way. If you cannot turn it in either direction, it is probably binding.

·
Registered
1,354 Posts
The engine will turn if the starter is binding. The overrunning clutch will allow the engine to turn faster than the starter.

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Thanks for the tip will check it when the starter is removed for replacement.Is the gear in constant mesh with the flywheel?

·
Registered
8,423 Posts
Thanks for the tip will check it when the starter is removed for replacement.Is the gear in constant mesh with the flywheel?

AFAIK Yes but uses a,"Clutch" mechanism.The starter is not the,"Bendix" type that throws out.

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Shep how far are you from east anglia spent two years there at RAF Lakenheath in the late 80's.

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Think I found the problem, the idler gear cannot be turned at all either direction.Looks like time to pull the engine and check thrust washers.Tried using a screwdriver to turn the gear and no go very tight.

·
Registered
4,104 Posts
Aha!

From a new thread by the OP

it appears an extra washer was used on the starter gear shaft

so when the rear cover was pulled up it 'pinched' and the starter

having little chance of turning that, was stalling

just thought I'd add this to give closure so to speak

1 - 20 of 20 Posts