Honda CX 500 Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
1981 Honda CX500
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello folks:

I actually found a set on eBay and ordered these over a month ago from what appeared to be a very reputable seller. I am starting to worry that they are not coming, though. I am inching at end of the quadruple bypass and I want to get the starter clutch springs, caps and rollers, replaced before I mount the engine back to its home in the frame.

For sake of discussion though, as a backup plan, does anybody know of any sources for the part(s)? I like David Silver Spares but when I pull up the model of my bike in the search engine on their site, it comes up with Temporarily out of stock * and has remained so for a while now.

·
Registered
1981 Honda CX500
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I appreciate that.. Thank you. I’ll give it a few more days with my eBay purchase (shipped from Norway apparently).

·
Super Moderator
22,295 Posts
Aftermarket springs are garbage. As far as I know there is nothing wrong with aftermarket rollers and caps but the springs collapse in a short time.

In fact, it's likely only the springs that you actually need. Generally the OEM rollers and caps are still good and the springs have been hammered.

·
Super Moderator
'84 CX650E that is evolving into a GL500
16,263 Posts
In other words, this is something you should contact your local Honda dealer for. BTW: They used the same parts in a lot of models so they are likely to stock them for a long time.

·
Registered
1983 cx650E
953 Posts
I believe this is a job for fogelsvilleJoe. He had got the gear shift return springs remade. Perhaps he or another of our astute members could get the starter clutch springs remade in a Honda like quality.

·
Registered
1,559 Posts
To Tony #7...small batch production does have costs involved.
Maybe in instances like these we need to support "small batch manufacturing" rather than quibble on price.......same applies if Murray produces those manual cam-chain tensioner blades.....

·
Registered
1981 Honda CX500
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thank you all for the help. I had noted somewhere in my head not to buy aftermarket. I might have to eat the cost of the aftermarket ones that are supposed to come from eBay. I think I was half asleep when I paid for the ones I found on eBay because the eBay seller almost makes it look like he advertised them as OEM but never actually said OEM anywhere in the listing. I would rather pay twice for springs than put in aftermarket springs in my CX500. I even considered worst case I would rather keep the original springs than put in aftermarket springs (tough decision LOL).

I placing an order with Partzilla.com and will try a Honda Dealer as well -- perhaps best case scenario is the ones for Partzilla.com are actually OEM and then I can have a backup set of springs from a Honda Dealer.

Funny thing is I will probably get the springs delivered from Partzilla.com before I ever get the ones I ordered on eBay about 5 weeks ago. Still, I've been too busy with work to make a fuss out of the delays.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts