Honda CX 500 Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
went out for a nice warm ride today and this happened

so my problem is the switch button broke at a hinge thingy so does anyone have a spare assembly for sale.

Or does anyone know if it is used on any other models of a similar year.

all hepl is greatly appreciated.

cheers mark

·
Registered
254 Posts
Well... that sux. I'm sorry. According to Powersports Plus it's an 83 CXT only part. You could buy this piece of crap and use the inside parts to fix yours. Or you could buy this non piece of crap for $3 more and bolt it on! OK, actually there are a bunch on ebay in $30 range. I think you should give me your front turn signals for my great advice.

Edit: Sorry after looking at your pics again, I can see the ebay ones are not correct. I obviously didn't get turbo results as I expected. I bet they would work though.

·
Registered
178 Posts
I heard it happens frequently.

I bet you can use one of following models: VF700, VF750, VF1000, VF1100.

·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
THANKS GUYS I MAY HAVE FOUND ONE IF NOT I WILL GO THE VF 700 ROUTE.

CHEERS MARK

·
Registered
755 Posts
I found the Canadian CB700s to be a bit closer, the only thing is that you would need to create an extension cord of sorts to plug it in as the wiring on the CB700 switch is much shorter. Cosmetically it looks very similar to the 650t switch. Also the guide hole in the bottom of the handlebars is in a different spot, so you would have to drill a new guide hole. Minor things...

·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I found the Canadian CB700s to be a bit closer, the only thing is that you would need to create an extension cord of sorts to plug it in as the wiring on the CB700 switch is much shorter. Cosmetically it looks very similar to the 650t switch. Also the guide hole in the bottom of the handlebars is in a different spot, so you would have to drill a new guide hole. Minor things...

thanks again for your help will.

cheers mark

·
Registered
755 Posts
I've got a CB700SC switch if anyone is interested in buying it now that I've sold my bike. If not, I at least wanted to document some additional info for future reference in case someone needs one down the road and decides to go this route.

As I mentioned in my thread above you would need to create an extension cord of sorts to plug it into as the wiring on this switch is much shorter than that of the original CX650T switch. I had made an extension cord out of the wiring from another old CX650T switch and installed it in my bike when I had the fairing off one time. The wiring block is the same between the CB700SC switch and the CX650T switch, which means its plug and play and this switch functions properly with the CX650T (I tested it out). I originally tracked down and bought one of these because of how prone to breakage the start switches can be, I wanted to have something that would look very similar and be functional in the event that the switch broke. I figured the CB700SC one could hold me over until such time I was able to track down a CX650T one. The handlebar and grip pipe diameter is the same between the two bikes, the only difference is that you would have to make a new guide hole in the bottom of the handlebar as the tab seems to be in a little different location on this switch compared to the CX650T switch. The throttle cables come in from the bottom on both switches so that shouldn't be an issue.

·
Registered
755 Posts
The V45 Magna also had a starter assy that looks like that.
Ah, right, but with a different color on the actual start switch (and/or different colors on kill switch) I think?

I liked the CB700SC in that the kill switch was almost a verbatim match and that the start switch color carried over too with the orange behind the word "start"...just like the CX650T

·
Registered
57 Posts
After seeing a CX650T supposedly sell on ebay for $15k, I decided to get mine out and do the usual checks before going for a ride. Tried to start... a crack sound and pieces of switch in my hand... Must be the time of year. no worries, I thought, get on line and buy another. Well that's when I find this thread, and the useful but unwanted information in it. I don't want something like, I want the correct CX650T starter button! So my quest of trying to find one starts alongside finding all of the parts that broke. There is the button, a spring which returns the button (grossly overengineered and too strong for the button design) a spring which pushes the brass slider against the contact, and a brass slider.

So first I gather all the parts, clean them and superglue the parts back together in the correct place. Knowing that this thing failed, it's guaranteed to pop if I try to reassemble like this so no we will not make that mistake. Time to strengthen the repair. So some steady-handed drilling and some strong wire with JB weld and the whole job is complete and functional again. It took me 2 hours plus leaving the JB weld to settle overnight. pictures explain the procedure. Hope this helps someone, it got me back on the road.

IMG_2453_zps80ff160d.jpg IMG_2456_zpsa4bff48e.jpg IMG_2457_zpscc705234.jpg IMG_2459_zps84948f64.jpg IMG_2460_zpsb25743eb.jpg IMG_2462_zps06f78dcf.jpg IMG_2466_zps5e007e3f.jpg

Hope this helps someone in the same position I was in yesterday. Note I used the JB weld to fill the open space below the pivot to strengthen further. There is NO need for this open space. There is space needed for the return spring and of course you need three hands with 12 fingers to reassemble the switch. Good luck, Jan

1 - 11 of 11 Posts