Honda CX 500 Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
1982 Honda GL500 cafe build in progress . Burn rubber , not your soul !
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So, I've never had an issue with a starter button on a bike and I took my bars off , out it back together and now the starter button isn't working . When I press it the lights dim like they usually do on the odometer.. anywho, any suggestions on what it may be.. appreciate any info !

1981 gl500

·
Registered
1981 CX500C
431 Posts
What else have you checked?

Typically, when the starter button is pressed, the headlight will completely go out. Assuming the OEM starter button is in play.

The dash panel lights dimming only indicate a high electric load.

Please add a bit more detail to describe the "...starter button isn't working..."

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·

Typically, when the starter button is pressed, the headlight will completely go out. Assuming the OEM starter button is in play.

Please add a bit more detail to describe the "...starter button isn't working..."

Well, when I push the starter button the light stays , it's oem starter assembly.. there were no issues until I started messing with my bars .. I'm throwing some clip ons on it but before I do that I just wanted to see if I had clearance to turn my clubmans over.. hopefully its nothing major.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·

I've only checked the internal wiring on the assembly so far , nothing else.

Well, when I push the starter button the light stays , it's oem starter assembly.. there were no issues until I started messing with my bars .. I'm throwing some clip ons on it but before I do that I just wanted to see if I had clearance to turn my clubmans over.. hopefully its nothing major.
Actually the light cuts off when I push the button ? Any idea of what it may be?

·
Premium Member
1978 CX500 "The Grub", 1983 GL650I "Nimbus"
12,483 Posts
See my post regarding the clutch switch in your other thread.

Reactions: Riley_james

·
Super Moderator
'84 CX650E that is evolving into a GL500
18,978 Posts
This drawing shows the circuit Randall is talking about. The solenoid is basically a coil that pulls a set of contacts together when the coil is powered and forms a magnetic field. Note that the coil is connected to positive voltage via the Start button and the keyswitch and to negative via the clutch switch or the neutral switch and the diode (the diode is there so the neutral light doesn't light whenever you squeeze the clutch lever).
Rectangle Schematic Font Parallel Slope

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
This drawing shows the circuit Randall is talking about. The solenoid is basically a coil that pulls a set of contacts together when the coil is powered and forms a magnetic field. Note that the coil is connected to positive voltage via the Start button and the keyswitch and to negative via the clutch switch or the neutral switch and the diode (the diode is there so the neutral light doesn't light whenever you squeeze the clutch lever).
View attachment 215055
This'll be a big help ! Thank you !! Do you know if it may be the fuse giving me the issue?

·
Super Moderator
18,978 Posts
The only fuse in the circuit is the main fuse and if the lights are working it is probably OK.

That said, do you still have the original main open link "dogbone" type fuse (under a cover on the side of the solenoid)? They are known to deteriorate over time and can crack or even become so porous that they turn to powder when touched so if you do it is a good idea to replace it with a blade type fuse that you can get replacements for anywhere in a suitable inline fuse holder because even if it isn't contributing to this problem it is likely to cause other problems later.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
The only fuse in the circuit is the main fuse and if the lights are working it is probably OK.

That said, do you still have the original main open link "dogbone" type fuse (under a cover on the side of the solenoid)? They are known to deteriorate over time and can crack or even become so porous that they turn to powder when touched so if you do it is a good idea to replace it with a blade type fuse that you can get replacements for anywhere in a suitable inline fuse holder because even if it isn't contributing to this problem it is likely to cause other problems later.
Yea, its looking a bit rough.. its definitely getting replaced.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Try hitting the button and wiggling the button. I need to wiggle the button most of the time. The lights go out but doesn't turn over until the button makes good connection.

I should fix it but it's a good security system 😜

·
Super Moderator
18,978 Posts
You need to get some electrical contact cleaner (the real stuff, NOT WD40) and spray it into the hole below the button while wiggling the button around like that (with the key off, of course). The contact cleaner will soften the dirt and moving the button around will displace the softened stuff so that it can make god contact again.
Just wiggling it around like that every time will only wear out the parts prematurely.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts