Honda CX 500 Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1981 Honda CX500
87 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a feeling somebody will know right away.

I have one of those LED headlights with built in running light and turn signals but I decided to to add bar end turn signals / running lights. Anyways, I got the bar end lights working just fine but now all of a sudden the headlight (both low and high beam) is not working.

This seems like an interesting problem but probably an easy fix. So, when testing the turn signals (I cannot recall which side) but suddenly the starter clicked on for a second! I tested each side for the turn signals maybe 10 times again and it probably happened again once (10%) of the time.

I am guessing that once I figure out why the headlights (low beam and high beam) will not turn on, I will probably solve the issue with the starter being tripped. I am thinking it must be something with the starter button which I admit has an issue anyways. When I push down the start button, I cannot push it all the way down. I have to push it like 1/2 or 3/4 of the way down and it works or else if I push it all the way down it does not work.

·
Super Moderator
'84 CX650E that is evolving into a GL500
18,669 Posts
The Start button has a second set of contacts that turns off the headlight while the starter motor is running. I suspect that may be the cause of your problems so disassembling & cleaning the button and fixing whatever is preventing it from working properly will also fix the headlight issue.

·
Registered
1981 Honda CX500
87 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I cleaned out the start button. It definitely works better now.

It turns out my issue was related to the fuse. While I replaced the fuse yesterday thinking the fuse, the fuse bracket / holder for the glass fuse just wasn’t making good contact with the fuse itself. I just had to tighten up the metal fuse holder where the glass cylinders pop in.

Yea I’m still using the old fuse box with glass fuses. I’ve got a box of those I picked up at Harbor Freight for less than $10.

Oh well. I figure I would have procrastinated cleaning the start button until the contacts were too dirty anyways.

Ty again for your attention!

1 - 4 of 4 Posts