Honda CX 500 Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
795 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I disassembled, cleaned and reassembled a start button switch and took photos along the way.

Here's a picture of the clamshell opened:

Removing screw that holds switch to clamshell:

Prying out the switch:

Metal plate, bottom of switch.

Plate off:

Wrong way to lift out the button w/contacts, spring, etc:

I say wrong since, except for the dirt/grime/grease, the contacts, etc. would fall out, straight down. I just got lucky.

Button assembly:

The spring at the top of the first picture goes under the two contacts and the insulator. If you find this post in the Wiki you'll find additional comments. One of them explains the burned area of the button. I recall that it was related to the fact that I had to wiggle the button to get it to work.

Removing stationary contacts:

I think removing the stationary contacts is optional, but it does allow you to examine the wires, soldering, etc. I had to epoxy one contact back in place. Spreading the white case was a bit nerve racking in that it felt as if it was going to break in half, but it seemed designed to spread.

Button contacts going back in. The center spring underneath the contacts/insulator made this a little tricky:

Lots of dielectric grease helped keep assembly together during installation. Replace the metal plate and the button assembly is ready to go back into the clamshell.

As has often been noted, the start button parts are small, and the grease and dirt makes them want to stick to everything(especially fingers), both on dis-assembly and assembly. Working over a white towel is often recommended. You can't be too careful.

The cutoff/kill switch assembly is similar in nature in that its parts are very small.
KillSwitchApart.jpg KillSwitchStationaryContacts2.jpg

Spraying the contacts with cleaners had no effect. I sanded mine clean.

·
Registered
8,423 Posts
Good work.I think my UK Standard CX500s are a bit different as our assemblies also incorporate Lighting on-off switches.I did take some pictures years ago when I did mine.The thing I remember was keeping a small magnet handy for the very tiny ball bearing(Easy to lose)used in the lighting switch part assembly(Same on the clutch side.

My 2 cents

·
Registered
4,035 Posts
Good work.

Dan..... wiki?

There's Reg's stuff on the ignition switch and my stuff on the switches.

Any way you can group the 3 together?

I'll see what I can do.

I thought this was good stuff for the Wiki when I first saw it too.

·
Registered
2,282 Posts
Dan, I went ahead and copied the pictures and text to the "Switches" section, under the Electrical section on the Main Wiki Page. I'm not sure where CXPREAK'S posts on switches are. If you want to combine them, that would be fine.

·
Registered
4,035 Posts
Dan, I went ahead and copied the pictures and text to the "Switches" section, under the Electrical section on the Main Wiki Page. I'm not sure where CXPREAK'S posts on switches are. If you want to combine them, that would be fine.

Thanks! Good work! I went to put them in the Wiki and it was off line.

I might make a page for each switch. We'll see what comes of it.

OP, thanks for the pics of your work! How was that switch working? Not very well I bet.

Is that a crack in the black housing?

·
Registered
7,223 Posts
Great pics, always wondered what they looked like inside. Was going to clean mine up but got worried I would screw them up bad so chickened out lol. With pics like these I can see what to do before opening it up

·
Registered
795 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
OP, thanks for the pics of your work! How was that switch working? Not very well I bet.

Is that a crack in the black housing?

The switch worked poorly. There was one spot where it might, sometimes work, took a real bit of fiddling. I haven't tried it since the cleaning.

Housing definitely cracked, thanks.

·
Registered
4,035 Posts
Good work Dan [and Blue fox whose valuable work I'd overlooked.

That should make that info easier to access in one place.

Thanks!

You know your pictures best. Let me/us know if you would like them put into the Wiki.

·
Super Moderator
22,012 Posts
If you can move the pics from photobucket to the Wiki go for it Dan.

I couldn't work out how to upload them to the wiki so went the photobucket route.

If they end up needing to be recaptioned I'll take care of that.

·
Registered
4,035 Posts
If you can move the pics from photobucket to the Wiki go for it Dan.

I couldn't work out how to upload them to the wiki so went the photobucket route.

If they end up needing to be recaptioned I'll take care of that.

The only way I figured out how to get them loaded to the Wiki is to up load them from my computer. Yes, we could use Photobucket to host them, however, it doesn't take much to "disconnect" and stop showing up.

I'll see what I can do.

·
Registered
795 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Happy to provide the pictures and thanks to all for the work done at Wiki including getting my pictures posted there. They seem to go well with the narrative, hope they help.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts