Honda CX 500 Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
190 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
So thanks to Nolimitz and Larry Cargill, my quad bypass is complete. Still working out a few kinks.

My start button is finicky and just a pain in the rear. I really have to sort of mash it and kinda roll it around at times, or come at just the right angle to get the switch to activate the starter. As Nolimitz and I were putting the bike back together, we noticed that my headlamp wasn't working and it took us a minute to figure out that my start button was the cause. I have to push up from the underside of the start button for my headlight to come on. This is obviously a significant safety issue; I don't want my headlight going out while I'm riding, causing decreased visibility. One random bit of weirdness - when I use the rotating switch on top of the assembly to kill my engine, my engine seems to stay turning over (as it dies) a bit of an abnormally long time (2-3 weird, sputtering seconds), as opposed to shutting off the engine with the key which is instantaneous.

I dismantled the top of the throttle assembly and used CRC electrical contact cleaner to hose out the start button and tried to root around in there with a Qtip, but it didn't seem to help. Based upon my symptoms, are there any other tips or tricks that may help me repair this thing, short of a full dismantling/rebuild?

I am exploring getting a new switch. I actually bought a new after-market switch on "cheapbay", but it's well....cheap and totally flimsy. Not impressed, and I don't want to use it. What I really need is an OEM replacement that isn't trashed. All the OEM ones I see on Ebay look like hell. I found one that is new old stock, but the seller was asking $130 for it. Ouch.

I have noticed that there are some really nice looking switches on Ebay for other Honda model bikes (like the CB's)....are there any other starter switches from other Honda model bikes that would be compatible, preferably without having to fully rewire things or consult wiring diagrams? It would just be so nice if I could find something that was "plug and play"....when pigs fly, right? Ha!

My bike is a 1981 CX500 Custom...it originally had a CDI ignition, but we replaced it with a new G8 stator and Rae-san kit. All of my wiring/cables for my switches and headlight are original.

Thank you all!

·
Registered
4,051 Posts
Was going to chime in as i ve just rebuilt/rewired my switch gear then remembered
the US bikes dont have light switches and have a headlight dimmer setup thingy when the starter button is pressed
never had my hands on one and dont recall ever seeing a pic of one opened up
But
I'd say it does need to be stripped checked and cleaned for reliabillty and peace of mind though

·
Registered
2,637 Posts
cxphreak had a good write up on cleaning switches. I can't seem to find it though.

·
Registered
776 Posts
Here's my write up for a US switch from a GL500.
https://cx500forum.com/forum/technical-help-forum/16097-start-button-switch-pictures.html#post198248
Looks like most of the pictures are on Photobucket so in order to view them you may need to apply the fix that can be found near the top of the General Discussion section.

You can find it also in the Wiki with fewer pictures but additional comments such as "The melted corner in the upper right of the part indicates a poor connection of the contacts creating resistance and heat was created. This poor connection was caused by dirt and corrosion. If you have to wiggle the button to get the starter to activate, this is probably what is going on inside"
https://motovillage.org/wiki/hondacxgl/index.php?title=Rebuilding_the_Starting_switch

·
Registered
4,051 Posts
Ahh pitchers !
we all loves pitchers

Just had shufty at the wiring diagram
As lukas has a 81 CDI bike I expect it to be essentially the same
and straightforward, ie simple changeover switch no relays.
but the wiring colours will be different to the GL

Lukas will find

2 wires to the killswitch

Black/white to CDI
Green to ground

3 wires to the starter button

Black - 12v supply
yellow/Red to starter solenoid
Blue/White to dimmer switch

When it's pressed the Black to Blue/White is interrupted
( lights go off)
as the engine is cranking

I'd expect to find some arcing on those light contacts after 40 odd years
so inspect check and clean is important

·
Super Moderator
14,779 Posts
I don't have pics but here's the advice I usually post for dirty switches:
The first thing to try is spraying the switch with contact cleaner. You do have contact cleaner, don't you? Contact cleaner is your friend. It will fix more electrical problems than your buddy who is really into wiring :rolleyes:
Note: You need to have real contact cleaner. WD40 is a fine product and has many uses, but it is not real contact cleaner. It leaves a sticky residue that will attract dust and you will have dirty contacts again before you know it.

You can usually clean your switches without taking anything apart. If you look at the bottoms of your switch assemblies you will see that there are small holes, just the right size to accept the straw from the contact cleaner and located so that it will spray right onto the contacts.

Just spray the contact cleaner into the hole and work the switch or button vigorously several times, then turn on the key & try it. You might need to repeat the process several times before it works properly.

If you can't get it working after 3 or 4 tries you will need to take it apart.

If you find broken parts you will need to make a trip to the wreckers.

If there is just too much dirt & hardened grease in there for the contact cleaner to wash out you will need to clean it manually. Use an old toothbrush & more contact cleaner.

DO NOT use sandpaper - particles of the grit will become embedded into the contact's surface and cause all kinds of problems.
If a contact is pitted you can dress it with a POINTS FILE. DO NOT use a regular file. POINTS FILES are designed for dressing ignition points and have the their teeth cut at the proper angle &c so that they will leave a very smooth surface.

BTW: It hassn't been explained in this thread so in case you didn't already know, the Start button has 2 sets of contacts, 1 that turns on power to the solenoid (which, in turn turns on power to the starter motor) and the second set that turns off the headlight while the button is pressed so that the battery's full power is available to the starter motor.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts