Honda CX 500 Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
82 GL500I

Since the Engine project, I've put 3200 miles on and still commuting!! Lately, I've noticed that when I've been going 20 miles one way at 60 mph or so, I off ramp and come to a stop sign and ............stall. In town starting and stopping not an issue so it seems. I think I smell gas from time to time(intermitent) but not 100% sure. What should my troubleshooting options ??

Very Grateful,

Deuce

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
If you have not performed the main fuse modification yet then check the main fuse.

Inspect the vacuum hose between the petcock and the right carb. Look for splits or a loose fit on the hose ends.

Does it cut off instantly or does it gradually die?

At first it was gradual now more instantly. Again, when I go from 5500 rpm down to 1000(Idle) it will drop to less than 600 and then stall. If I take longer than normal to come to a full stop, then it may not even stall but rpms drop under 1000(idle).

·
Registered
385 Posts
Idle should be around 1100-1200. Least that is what the carb god has told me.

·
Premium Member
2,510 Posts
Just a guess, maybe one cylinder is cutting out, triggered by the increased temperature associated with hard riding. This could be due to a plug or a plug cap, or maybe even an ignition coil. You might try unplugging one coil wire at a time to see if one side is not making power.

I seem to recall a similar case not too long ago where one of the ignition pickup coils was going open at higher temperatures. It was finally tracked down by riding with a multimeter and making some quick resistance measurements when the problem occurred.

Can you replicate the problem with the bike parked on the center stand?

It would be great if you had access to some parts from another bike to swap out for troubleshooting, even if they were loaners.

It would also be useful to check your battery voltage when the problem occurs.

·
Registered
309 Posts
An idle that dips below the normal speed but can then recover after high revs can be a sign of a rich mixture.

What happens if you rev (in neutral) to about 4/5k when the bike is hot and then close the throttle?

Does it display the same symptoms (ie: dies) or does it only do it when actually riding?

Is the bike generally in good tune, carbs balanced etc?

If it does do it check for all the usual stuff relating to a rich idle like air filter, pilot mixture screws, perforated air cut-off diaphragms, stuff like that.

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
An idle that dips below the normal speed but can then recover after high revs can be a sign of a rich mixture.

What happens if you rev (in neutral) to about 4/5k when the bike is hot and then close the throttle?

Does it display the same symptoms (ie: dies) or does it only do it when actually riding?

Is the bike generally in good tune, carbs balanced etc?

If it does do it check for all the usual stuff relating to a rich idle like air filter, pilot mixture screws, perforated air cut-off diaphragms, stuff like that.

I did post that I thought I was smelling some fuel, but i'm not 100% sure. I definitely need to go through the carbs which would be a first for me. Being in Minnesota this year has been crazy warm with record dew points which backs up the high temp idea. Thanks for all the info!!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts