Honda CX 500 Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
1982 GL500
314 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Where are we getting stainless brake hoses these days? A quick search seems to indicate that JDA is the place to go, but that same search also reveals that they seem to no longer be in business. I came across a place called Apex that looks promising. Has anyone used them? Is anyone selling pre-made hoses in the correct dimensions, or is it going to be a custom job?
Thanks,
Chris

·
Super Moderator
'84 CX650E that is evolving into a GL500
18,410 Posts
I just talk to the parts guy at my local Honda dealer when I need something like that and he finds me what I need in the aftermarket catalogues.

BTW: You won't find actual stainless hoses as something made of stainless steel they would not be flexible. What you want is stainless braided brake lines (actually teflon tubing with stainless wire braided over it for protection).

·
Super Moderator
5,663 Posts
Reactions: nippongreen

·
Registered
1983 cx650c
1,308 Posts
The last stainless lines I got are from Galfer, they have some on eBay and I think you can inquire as to specific models. They are easy to fit because the end fittings twist to align perfectly with cylinders.

·
Registered
2,840 Posts

·
Super Moderator
'84 CX650E that is evolving into a GL500
18,410 Posts
Every time I've bought them I measured the old ones or otherwise figured out what I needed and ordered according to that. One time I bought the line by the foot from a place that stocked it on rolls and another time I bought a stock length (10' ?) from a catalogue plus fittings that attached by compression and made exactly what I needed. Other times I bought them with fittings crimped on and ordered the next length longer than I needed.

·
Registered
1978 Honda CX-500.. a work in progress
87 Posts
I have also had very good success with Goodridge Make-A Line, buying the components bit by bit. Leak free, and work great for some of the very' custom' applications I made over the years.

·
Registered
1,334 Posts

·
Registered
1982 GL500
314 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·

·
Registered
217 Posts
If you're doing something really off the wall or not sure where the length is going to end up, making your own braided hose isn't really that hard and is also pretty inexpensive. Some braided line with appropriate pressure rating and some 3/8"/10mm banjo bolt ends with the crush ferrule and away you go. I was leery of doing it myself but had one project bike that needed some goofy banjo bolt angles on each end that I couldn't just buy. I've been making my own ever since. The only issue I've ever had is sometimes different brands of ends and hoses don't get along, so I try to stick to common brands or make sure I check the specs wherever possible.

·
Registered
1,178 Posts
GL500 is 3x M10, 50mm, available on ebay and Aliexpress. Most ebay items is actually from Ali, as I just bought some and they were literally unopened Aliexpress packaging, repackaged from ebay and sent to me. Ebay cost a bit more than Ali, but arrives sooner.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts