Honda CX 500 Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
1982 GL500
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My bike squeaks quite badly, and I’m fairly certain it’s the rear monoshock. I’ve seen on this forum and blog sites that an R1 shock would be a capable replacement. However, I’m not entirely clear on a few things.

How easy is it to swap a monoshock in your garage?

Would an R1 shock interfere with anything?

Is there a better shock for the job out there? (One that doesn’t cost $400 :p) I would rather not replace it with another GL500 shock, something new... ish.

Any pointers or experience would be much appreciated. Thanks!

·
Super Moderator
5,669 Posts
The squeal is more likely from the shock linkage than from the shock itself. See the factory service manual for details.

·
Registered
68 Posts
Yes the squeal is most likely from the linkage. On my 650 the collars (steel tubes the linkage pivot on) were all heavily rusted, I had to machine new ones. With new collars and everything properly lubed the suspension moves freely.
Colorfulness Automotive tire Road surface Rectangle Wood

I also wanted to upgrade the ancient air shock to something more modern. I was able to fit a CBR929RR shock while keeping the air box and battery in place. By trimming a little bit from the upper shock mounting bracket, making an adapter bracket and slightly reshaping the coolant bottle to clear the shock gas reservoir I got it to fit. Also had to use a GL500 shock link that fits with the CBR lower shock eye instead of the GL650 link that fits clevis style shocks. A shock with no gas bottle would have been easier to fit but I had no budget for a 400$ Hagon or YSS shock.
Motor vehicle Bumper Automotive tire Automotive exterior Fender
Automotive fuel system Automotive tire Vehicle Tire Motor vehicle
Tire Wheel Vehicle Automotive tire Hood

·
Registered
1,726 Posts
short term fix is to liberally drown the linkages in Inox or similar. Squirted in with the applicator straw , reapply often over several days . Place a cloth on the floor to catch drips , and dont squirt the tyre.....

Reactions: bahn88

·
Registered
2,845 Posts
short term fix is to liberally drown the linkages in Inox or similar. Squirted in with the applicator straw , reapply often over several days . Place a cloth on the floor to catch drips , and dont squirt the tyre.....
Off topic...but also works for those "sealed" ratchets where u cant disassemble and grease....

·
Super Moderator
'84 CX650E that is evolving into a GL500
18,418 Posts
I figured out a way to eliminate the need for taking it apart to re-lube:

1 - 10 of 10 Posts