Honda CX 500 Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Greetings, I have been a lurker for quite awile. An the information I have been getting here is priceless. But I have run in to a stumper.

I bought my 1981 cx500c out of a garage about 4 months ago. The PO never had it running. But the guy he bought it from said it ran. You know the story. I believe 1 day it ran fine lol.

Anyway, I took my brother (the MMI grad - honda spec) over an we checked the compression an spark. Both are all there. So we figure carbs I bought the bike for $225 usd. (will post pics soon)

We took the carbs apart an cleaned every port, pulled every jet. cleaned everything. Did notice the air cut offs were slightly damaged. But after reading up I understand it those affect slowing down. So I did not replace those yet. (just ordered them.) We put the carbs back on an the bike fires right up. No choke needed. Can great. untill you crank it up. So figured we missed something in the carbs. Took them off again. Read every page I could about the cleaning. got every thing cleaned even the few parts we missed during the first cleaning. added inline fuel filter. Didnt want to clean them again if it was in the tank.

Now it ran great up an down the street. Get it back to the garage. crank it up 1 time an it's back. runs up to 4.5k pops misses. I took the bike out for a weekend journey to see how it reacted. Figured blow out some old air. Saturday the bike ran great all day. Really enjoyed riding it. Got up sunday an the bike wouldnt go over 6k.

I just cant figure out what this problem is that will be there then go away then be there again. I cant seem to make it happen when it's running right an no matter what adjustments I seem to make when it is acting up dont make any diffrence.

I am just stumped. Last attempt at repair was kicking it an no all that did was hurt my foot.

·
Registered
1,556 Posts
Have you inspected/tested coils?

You can simulate getting them hot for the test with a hair dryer.

·
Super Moderator
11,471 Posts
You also might want to go over all your ground connections and wires to make sure there are no frays or what not. The stator may also be starting to give a warning.

·
Registered
1,556 Posts
Boulder, I was thinking CDI box also but could not remember if his year has the CDI or not.

I did not want to look stupid before I had a chance to look up his year and see if it has the part!

·
Registered
2,601 Posts
Replace or block off the ACVs, they have more of an effect on things than you'd think. Most places have them, start by calling TAS because if you mention my name (Marshall) or that you read about them in this forum you'll not only get free shipping but sometimes a discount as well.

If they don't have them a guy that goes by GeorgeFix on eBay is really reliable to deal with.

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
update: I did the PLUG CAP RESISTOR REMOVAL/REPLACEMENT I found suggested off this site. In the garage it seemed to help, But I did notice right away there was no spring in the right side plug cap. So I added a spring with my new brass rods, cost $3.29 usd. Gonna take it for a ride later to see what happens.

·
Registered
5,563 Posts
hey,thats great news..

love your signiture line......sweet

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.