Honda CX 500 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 79 Posts

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all. I was asked by a member to post me removing my fairing, but I thought I would post all that I am doing to my bike. I just picked up my 1982 GL500 last weekend, and it was once a naked bike with most of a fairing added, but I am going to take it back down to a naked bike, which is what I really wanted anyhow. Here are a few pictures of the bike as it sits today.

IMG_20190803_191104662 - Edited.jpg
IMG_20190803_191113154 - Edited.jpg
IMG_20190803_191059232 - Edited.jpg
IMG_20190803_191052247 - Edited.jpg

Reactions: RVP3

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
I do have some parts I need to locate in order to complete the conversion back to its former self.

I ordered and now have the headlight bracket, headlight assembly and rear view mirrors, which I have already cleaned and/or buffed out.
IMG_20190803_191324791 - Edited.jpg

I have also ordered the horn bracket and front signal stays, but they have yet to be shipped.

I need to find the front signals. That's the hard one to find. Can anyone tell me if the signals from a naked GL1100 will work? They look the same and appear to mount the same, so I wonder if those would work.

I'm sure other parts will be needed, but I figured this is a good start. The brake reservoir seems like it needs replacing. The plastic is looking rather corroded, and is even bulging, so that will be next on the list. I'm sure more parts needed will be revealed to me once I start tearing in on that bike.

I did already remove the saddle bags and cell phone holder. This bike isn't going to be used for travel or anything, so I am going to keep it truly naked.

This will be a slow "restore," but I will post on this thread as I work on it.

Dan

·
Registered
354 Posts
If memory serves me correctly, I do believe the naked GL1100 used the same front signals as the Naked GL500.

Would you care to sell the mirrors and the windshield that are currently on the fairing? -Graves-

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
If memory serves me correctly, I do believe the naked GL1100 used the same front signals as the Naked GL500.

Would you care to sell the mirrors and the windshield that are currently on the fairing? -Graves-
Thanks, re. signals. That's what I was thinking, but didn't want to order them just to sell them again.

As for the fairing parts, someone wants the newer SilverWing emblems, so those are probably going to go to that person if he still wants them and if I can get them off cleanly enough. I will put you down for the windshield and mirrors. The windshield is pretty much brand new. The previous owner told me that he installed it back in May of this year. I will get back to you once I have it off of the bike and parts stripped off of it.

Dan

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Dad master cylinder s work nice on the GLs
I did some searching on the net, but I don't see any "Dad" master cylinders. I am seeing folks using David Silver Spares. Is this what you meant? I would certainly rather use something new instead of purchasing a used, almost 40-year-old master so I know it works. My bike is never going to be showroom quality, nor do I plan to make it that way. I am just sprucing it up so I can enjoy it like I did my first Silverwing, so that doesn't have to be an OEM part. I just want all of the front-end parts to be original as I love the look..

Thanks,
Dan

·
Super Moderator
13,801 Posts
I may be wrong but I thought the GL1000 signals were bigger than the ones for the GL500 (and most other bikes).

I would hang onto the trunk. Even if you don't plan to use it regularly, it only takes a couple of minutes to pop the back seat off and the trunk on for the odd time you need to carry something (like a rainsuit or your lunch). And they were sold as accessories for the naked bikes...

·
Super Moderator
13,801 Posts
D'oh!!! Somehow I was thinking of the round signals on the CX500 and GL1000. Yes, the naked GL500 and GL1100 have the same signals.

BTW: Make sure you get front signals; The rears only have single filament bulbs so they won't work as marker lights.

·
Registered
354 Posts
D'oh!!! Somehow I was thinking of the round signals on the CX500 and GL1000. Yes, the naked GL500 and GL1100 have the same signals.

BTW: Make sure you get front signals; The rears only have single filament bulbs so they won't work as marker lights.
Lol! You need to change your name on here to "Turn Signal Sam". :D

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter #12 (Edited)
As of today, August 8, 2019, I got all of the parts (I think) necessary to remove the fairing and return the bike back to its previous glory. Well, all except the screws, nuts and bolts necessary. I will grab the sizes I need off of the exploded views and make a trip to the neighborhood hardware store for stainless or chrome (or black) fasteners to get this puppy looking the way it once did.

After this, I will turn my attention to the brakes, clean the carbs, etc, and an oil change. I think after that, I can get it back on the road and I think that will tell me what else will be needed as I start to ride it. I know when I test rode it, it seemed rather wimpy from how I remembered it, but that could just be that I've grown used to my current bike and just need to get a new feel for the GL500. However, if someone lives near Kenosha, I wouldn't mind maybe meeting up and give my bike a test ride to let me know if it feels normal or if I need to give it further attention. But, that can happen well after I get things sorted out with it. I don't know if I'll finish up before the end of this riding season, or not, but it's no big rush on my part if things wait until next year.

Dan

Reactions: nolimitz

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I was able to find a few hours today to work on converting the SilverWing back to its former self. I received all the necessary parts over the past couple of weeks and buffed them out as I received them. Today, I started removing the fairing. 8 bolts and three sets of wires later, I was able to remove the fairing rather easily. I forgot how light the fairing actually is. It looks so heavy, but weighs very little.
GL500_01.jpg

Next was removal of the fairing bracket. This took a little more work. I first had to remove the bolt at the frame, and to do this, I had to remove the trunk, seat and gas tank (I just slid the tank back). Then, I had to remove the side trim from the radiator in order to remove the engine guards. That was three bolts each. Once I removed the engine guards, I was able to finagle the bracket off of the bike.
GL500_03.jpg

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Once the fairing and bracket was removed, it was onto the extra wiring that was no longer needed. Sorry, I didn't get a picture of this.

I then needed to add the headlight bracket. To do this, I needed to remove the two bolts and rubber spacers that hold on the instrumentation. After that, it was a matter of wiggling the headlight bracket in. I think I made three separate attempts at this though as I couldn't quite get the cables, harness, etc. quite right. But, I did get it right.
GL500_04.jpg

I didn't get pictures of the rest of the process as I was in a zone, but there are two wire connectors that connect to the bracket to keep them out of the way. Once I had that sorted out, I placed the headlight bucket on the bike. I then added the turn signal stays and the turn signals. I ran the wires up into the headlight bucket and connected them up. After that, I installed the horn bracket and horns, and, you guessed it, ran that up to the headlight bucket. I sorted out the wires, and plugged in the headlight. Moved the position of it around until it aimed right, and all was good to go. Everything tested out good, signals, headlight and horn worked, and all was well. Also, at some point of this, I added the rear view mirrors.
GL500_05.jpg

GL500_06.jpg

GL500_07.jpg

Dan

Reactions: Phronsias

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter #15 (Edited)
The other thing I need to do to call the conversion finished is to add the trim for the horn. I assume I need another part to bolt it to the brackets on the horn, but don't know what I need, or what the part is called to go on eBay to order it.

GL500_HT.jpg

Dan

·
Super Moderator
3,780 Posts

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Part 18 I have, which is what the horns are mounted to, but not 17. I don't think that part would work with the horns mounted? I do see that I do need part 4 to mount that trim piece between the horns.

Dan

·
Super Moderator
3,780 Posts
You're right Bob. I failed to remember that problem with CMSNL.

1 - 20 of 79 Posts