Honda CX 500 Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
8,423 Posts

·
Registered
1,874 Posts
The main thing to look for if you are searching ebay is getting a set without the crossover pipe openings. If you look at harley's some of them have completely separate pipes and silencers, and some of them have a short crossover connecting the 2 silencers. You can fill in the hole and still use them, but there are plenty available without the hole so why give yourself extra trouble?

·
Registered
1978 CX500 "The Grub", 1983 GL650I "Nimbus"
12,075 Posts
You can fill in the hole and still use them, but there are plenty available without the hole so why give yourself extra trouble?
Aren't they closer to the length of our stock mufflers than the earlier style without the cross-over ports? I'd rather have the longer muffler (but not as long as the Road King.)

Also, when these slip into the h-box, would there be room for a beer can gasket to cover the hole?

R

·
Registered
1,364 Posts
Sorry - should have specified. Need mufflers.
These go right in the H box, no crossover holes, i just used the exhaust sealer stuff that comes in a squeeze tube for sealant. They will hang (at least on my 81 cx5ooD) from one of the original hangar bracket slots. I then epoxied a little metal bracket with a rubber bumper attached for the center stand to rest against.

Referring to the 65747-94 Harley mufflers.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.