Honda CX 500 Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've been looking for tires available in the correct size for my 81 CX500C, and the two main options I've come to are the Pirelli Sport Demon tires and the Metzeler Lasertec tires. I'm leaning towards the Sport Demons, but I was wondering if any of you had experience with either type or have a recommendation for a different kind.

I live in the Midwest, where rain and puddles are a possibility, so I'd like to be prepared if I get caught in the wet.
My usage will likely be commuting and long distance riding, along the lines of sport touring.

Let me know if there's anything else that might affect the type of tires I should get.

·
Registered
161 Posts
I have been using the Sport Demons on my CX500c for years. Function very well, but they are not high mileage wear tires.
I am trying the Commander 2 on this bike, but will stay with the Demons in the turbo bike.

Reactions: gbowl

·
Registered
1,874 Posts
I've never had them but I don't think the sport demons would work well for your intended purpose. Do you have a budget/price in mind? Shinko makes some very good inexpensive tires. On the other end of the scale I currently have some dunlop american elites that have been great so far but I haven't put enough miles on them to know how they'll wear.

·
Registered
451 Posts
Ive had them - although not necessarily on the cx.
I didnt like the lasertec - found them vague feeling when new and espcially in the wet .
sport demons are good - and sticky - but not the longest wearing tyre --- on the vf750s I wore out a rear sport demon in about 2500 miles ..

If you are not adverse to mixing - the sport demon front and bt45 rear is a good handling, better wearing combination - I ran this as my preferred option on the vf750F and vf500F.
on the 750s I ended up with Shinko 230s.

YMMV
Rayman

·
Registered
2,840 Posts
Sorry for the late update- life finds a way to get in the way. I ended up getting the sport demons and I have to say I like them a lot.
Since I missed your original post I'll add my 20cents...now.
Great tire (you decided on) for all round weather, and if you like the "twisties"....they are marketed as a sports/touring tire...but not really high mileage...(on the back at least.)..

Never really liked the Metzelers (Lasertec) had them on a few BMWs

As per Ray's (old post) also had the BT45 on the rear...that worked well on my CX in all sorts of weather as well...maybe keep that in mind if the Demons are ever outta stock....

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.