Honda CX 500 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 58 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all.

Its been a long time since I have posted.

I have nearly finished restoring my CX500 Shadow,(think you guys call it a standard), just have a few little details to do and have to paint it the final colour.

Before I can call it done I want to attempt the spoke wheel conversion. I have a set of comstars that I can sacrifice to get the hubs I need.

I originally read abut this a few years ago on the old forum and have been searching this forum and the old forum for the information.

I have read the threads with the pictures that show how it is done but I was sure that I had seen a thread or a diagram that showed the sizes/dimensions of the round plates I have to make up for the front and rear wheels.

Can anyone help me with these dimensions or point me in the right direction. I have not purchased the new outer alloy rims yet so not sure about number of spokes etc.

I would appreciate any help or advice offerred.

Thank you

Oldlonely.

·
Super Moderator
15,399 Posts

·
Super Moderator
15,399 Posts
If you look at this picture it seems like the answer could be found easily.

All it seems like you would really need to know is the distance between the 5 bolts on the front wheel measuring crossways and then the same for the rear. With that information I could blow up the image and make it a real circle. That should show where all the holes go and a template could be made.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Blind, that is a great idea !!

(I am mad I didn't think of it myself) !!

I will measure the hole spacing in the hubs over the weekend and report back.

Thank you

Oldlonely.

·
Registered
639 Posts
I wonder if old Goldwing wheels would fit a CX/GL500. I bring this question up because my '76 Goldwing has spoked wheels. The shaft drive of the Goldwing shares components with the CX/GL500 so it may be possible. Anyone know?

·
Registered
1,070 Posts
I wonder if old Goldwing wheels would fit a CX/GL500. I bring this question up because my '76 Goldwing has spoked wheels. The shaft drive of the Goldwing shares components with the CX/GL500 so it may be possible. Anyone know?

I am pretty sure I read an article somewhere about using Goldwing rims on a GL. Now if only I could remember where.

I'll do some research and see if I can find it.

·
Registered
192 Posts
The Gold wing wheels are a bit different so the spacers may need to be fabricated. I just put on a Goldwing front wheel on a 1981 CX and had to make spacers. The Goldwing rear wheel has a disk and that has to be adapted to the swingarm. The master cylinder will have to be mounted as well.

·
Registered
422 Posts
It never fails. I get over the idea of goldwing spokes, and then someone brings them back up and it gets my brain going and thinking. I guess one of these days I should just do it...

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Blindstitch, I have finally measured the hole spacing on my hubs, if your offer to blow it up to actual size so you can give me the dimensions of the spacer plates I will need to turn up.

I have measured as accurately as I can and I came up with the following:

REAR HUB - hole to next hole @ 128.5mm

- hole to hole (across hub) @ 209mm

FRONT HUB - hole to next hole @ 72mm

- hole to hole (across hub) @ 116mm

*All dimensions centre to centre.

*Can you also take a look back at the photos of the plates and take a guesstimate at what the thickness would be ?

Tahnk you for your time and imput

Oldlonely.

·
Super Moderator
15,399 Posts
Blindstitch, I have finally measured the hole spacing on my hubs, if your offer to blow it up to actual size so you can give me the dimensions of the spacer plates I will need to turn up.

I have measured as accurately as I can and I came up with the following:

REAR HUB - hole to next hole @ 128.5mm

- hole to hole (across hub) @ 209mm

FRONT HUB - hole to next hole @ 72mm

- hole to hole (across hub) @ 116mm

*All dimensions centre to centre.

*Can you also take a look back at the photos of the plates and take a guesstimate at what the thickness would be ?

Tahnk you for your time and imput

Oldlonely.

Maybe we can find a cad guy to help us out.

What I know at the moment just from blowing the image up and trying to make sure it's round is...

The front ring is 7 5/8ths wide.

There are 20 holes for spokes. About 3 5/16 from center. Making a ring of 6 5/8ths. Not sure on the hole size since I don't have spokes.

The holes for the hub look to be 2 7/16 from center.

1/4 from the edge in is beveled. Most likely for clearance for the spokes.

I cant really guess off hand how thick the plates are but I can tell you. The plates are the exact thickness of the area between the center hub and the rotor.

·
Super Moderator
15,399 Posts
Rear disk

11 inches wide.

spoke holes at 5 inches from center. 20 holes.

hub holes 4 1/2 from center

ring 1 1/2 inch band

1/4 inch bevel

Dimensions may be a hair off so double check with hub dimensions. And templates are just rough.

·
Registered
289 Posts
Here's a scaled layout for the front. The inner hole is not to scaled dimension. The radius of the hole patterns is to scale as is the outside diameter, but the holes (spokes, bolts) are not reflective of the actual sizes needed. All of the dimensions are scaled off of Blindstiches measurements.

If all of the dimensions can be verified, I can layout both to scale.

·
Registered
254 Posts
Wow, we got some highly talented people here on this site!!

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
This is fantastic. !!!

I am such a peanut when it comes to computers, I would have never been able to do this myself..

I would like to extend my sincere thanks to Blind and TXDrummer for the time they spent on this.

I will report back with my progress and maybe post some photos.

I am so excited, my bike is black and I have spent ages polishing every piece of alloy on the bike, (including the front and rear engine covers), and I think it would look excellent with spoked wheels on polished rims.

Thank you again, you guys are great..

Oldlonely.

1 - 20 of 58 Posts